Medical, Vision, Dental
(.5 FTE position and greater) .
Benefits eligibility is determined by hire date. If you are hired on the first day of the month, benefits are effective the first of that month. Otherwise, benefits will begin the first day of the following month.
Changes to coverage are limited to the annual open enrollment period, unless required by a “qualifying life event" (birth, death, marriage, divorce, loss of health care coverage from another source). Any changes resulting from a qualifying event must be reported to Human Resources within 30 days following the effective date of the change.
Swarthmore continues to offer an affordable and comprehensive selection of medical, dental and vision plans to meet your needs of health care coverage. Please click on the plans highlighted below for a description of the plans and coverage provided
The Medical Plan Highlights [PDF] allows you to review and compare all medical plan options.
For a review of each plan click on the name below:
- Personal Choice PPO
- Keystone POS
- Keystone HMO
- HDHP Plans
- Universal Glossary of Terms
- Transparency in Coverage Rule (TCR) Section 2715A of the Public Health
- Provides that group health plans and health insurance issuers offering group health insurance coverage must comply with section 1311(e)(3) of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
- Requires plans and issuers to disclose in-network provider negotiated rates and historical out-of-network allowed amounts through machine-readable files (MRF) posted on its public website, thereby allowing the public to have access to health coverage information that can be used to understand health care pricing.
- Below are the links to the MRFs for each product offered by the College. The links will be active as of July 1, 2022 and will update monthly.
- Personal Choice PPO and HDHP Plans (link to Machine Readable Files)
- Keystone HMO and POS Plans (link to Machine Readable Files)
- Keystone Point of Service (POS) - outside of Philadelphia, Bucks, Delaware, Montgomery and Chester County Service (link to Machine Readable Files)
All of Swarthmore College’s medical plan options now include coverage for Telehealth. Telehealth services are virtual visits via secure video or mobile app with a board-certified physician from Independence Blue Cross’ MDLIVE network. Telehealth allows you and your covered dependents to address medical concerns from the convenience of your home or office. MDLIVE’s providers are available 24/7 to address simple medical issues (skin rash, cold/flu, pink eye, etc) Prescriptions can be written as needed.
The costs associated with the Telehealth services are:
- Individuals covered by the Keystone HMO, POS or Personal Choice PPO plans will pay a $5 copay
- Individuals covered by the the HDHP will pay a $40 charge until their deductible is satisfied. Once your deductible is met, there is no cost to the employee.
Register for telehealth services by visiting www.MDLIVE.com/ibx or calling 1-877-764-6605. Registering now assures you are ready to go when a need arises for a Telehealth visit. Please note that each individual in your family will need to create their own account to access services.
Delta Dental is our dental insurer. Please review the list of participating dentists within the Delta Dental network. Review the College's dental coverage under the basic and buy up plans [PDF]
Our vision provider remains Davis Vision and there have been no changes in the plan coverage. Keep in mind that to receive the maximum benefit from this plan you should use a Davis Network provider for both the eye examination and for purchasing eyeglasses.
- Locate a Davis Network Provider.
- Review the College's vision coverage under the basic and buy up plans [PDF].
Changing Your Benefits
Per IRS rules, you can only make changes to your benefit elections during the College's annual Open Enrollment period. However, you may make changes to your elections if you experience a qualifying life event during the year. Qualifying life events [PDF] include but are not limited to birth of a child, adoption, marriage, divorce, loss of existing health coverage, etc.
Flu Shot Reimbursement
During the Flu Season months, we want to make certain that all of our members take advantage of the Flu Shot program that Independence Blue Cross offers. Under the new health care legislation flu shots are now covered as a preventative service at 100% if you get them at your doctor's office. IBC will continue to pay up to $25 towards the cost of the Flu Shot if you decide to get a flu shot other than at your doctor's office.
Please complete this form and return it to address on the form with your receipt.
I want to change my doctor/dentist. How do I go about that?
The change can be made over the phone. Simply call the number on the back of your medical/dental card and give them the change information.