Application Materials & Deadlines
First-year applicants may apply to Swarthmore via Common Application, Coalition Application, or QuestBridge Application. Swarthmore does not have a preference among any of our application options. Please submit only one application in an application year. International students, homeschooled students, undocumented students, and transfer students should review information specific to their situation.
- Common Application or Coalition Application or QuestBridge Application
- Swarthmore College Short Answer
- As part of the Common or Coalition Application, you will be asked to submit no more than 250 words in response to the following short answer question (QuestBridge applicants are asked this question on our QuestBridge Conversion Form): "Please write about why you are interested in applying to and attending Swarthmore."
- $60 application fee or fee waiver*
- School report
- Guidance counselor recommendation
- High school transcript
- Midyear grades: Applicants from schools without midyear grades should provide a midyear progress report from teachers.
- Self-reported or official standardized test scores (Swarthmore's Testing Policy)
- Two academic-subject teacher evaluations
*Eligible students for application fee waivers to Swarthmore College are determined by Swarthmore College, Common Application, Coalition Application, NACAC, The College Board, or the ACT. All students with financial need are welcome to complete SwatPass to find out if you qualify for an application fee waiver.
- Swarthmore offers optional interviews. The deadline to request an interview for the Class of 2023 has passed. Please note that applicants who do not interview are not at a disadvantage.
- Students with especially strong backgrounds and interest in pursuing the arts at Swarthmore can share samples of their work via SlideRoom, free of charge. We accept supplements in creative writing (written or spoken word poetry and fiction), dance (performance and choreography), music (performance and composition), theater, and the visual arts. Submissions provide our Admissions Committee with examples of students’ artistic talents and are subject to faculty review. Please know, however, that we cannot guarantee all works will be evaluated.
- Please review financial aid application instructions and deadlines for first-year applicants.
Note to applicants: Swarthmore College reserves the right to evaluate an application and make a final decision, even if all parts of the application have not been received. Swarthmore College may be required to report incidents of abuse that are disclosed in applications.
If you will apply Early Decision, please include:
- Common Application Early Decision Agreement [PDF], Coalition Application Early Decision Agreement [PDF], or QuestBridge Application Early Decision Agreement [PDF]
- First semester/trimester senior grades
School documents (including teacher recommendations and transcripts) must be submitted directly from a school official. School officials can submit these documents via the Common Application, Coalition Application, QuestBridge, Naviance, or Parchment/Docufide. In rare cases, school officials can submit relevant documents as PDFs via email.
Fall Early Decision Application Deadline: November 15
All testing should be complete by early November. Applicants are notified of decisions on Friday, December 14 at 7:00 p.m. EST via applicant portals.
Winter Early Decision Application Deadline: January 1
All testing should be complete by mid-December. Admission decisions are released online by mid-February.
Regular Decision Application Deadline: January 1
We strongly encourage all applicants to complete testing by mid-December, but may be able to consider scores for tests completed by early February. Admission decisions are released online by mid-March.
Transfer Decision Application Deadline: April 1
Admission decisions are released online by mid-May.