Apply as a First-Year Student
First-year applicants may apply to Swarthmore via Common Application, Coalition Application, or QuestBridge Application. Swarthmore does not have a preference among any of our application options. Please submit only one application in an application year. International students, homeschooled students, undocumented students, and transfer students should review information specific to their situation.
- Common Application
Swarthmore College is one of more than 700 members of the Common Application. The Common Application allows you to submit one application to as many colleges as you want from their list of members. Each college may ask you to answer member-specific questions, or require you to submit a supplement to the Common Application.
Applying via the Common Application
In addition to the Common Application's personal statement (you can choose one of seven essay prompts), we ask you to submit no more than 250 words in response to Swarthmore's following short-answer prompt: "Please write about why you are interested in applying to and attending Swarthmore." Your "why Swarthmore" essay adds more context to your application (and might help us learn things like how you solve problems, what drives your curiosity, or where you see yourself in five years).
- Coalition Application
Swarthmore College is one of more than 100 members of the Coalition for Access, Affordability, and Success, a collective effort by many of the nation’s colleges to elevate the importance of college affordability and success for all students.
The Coalition platform includes a virtual locker where you can store materials of your own choosing, such as essay drafts or video recordings of performances, and a collaboration space where you can share materials with mentors, teachers, and counselors as appropriate. (You should not share this material with Swarthmore admissions officers through the Collaboration Space.) In addition, the Coalition allows you to prepare and submit a college application to member colleges.
Applying via the Coalition Application
In addition to the Coalition Application essay prompt (you can choose one of five), we ask you to submit no more than 250 words in response to Swarthmore's following short-answer prompt: "Please write about why you are interested in applying to and attending Swarthmore." Your "why Swarthmore" essay adds more context to your application (and might help us learn things like how you solve problems, what drives your curiosity, or where you see yourself in five years).
- QuestBridge Application
Swarthmore is a proud partner of QuestBridge, a program that links low-income students with educational and scholarship opportunities at some of the nation’s best colleges and universities. The QuestBridge National College Match helps high-achieving, low-income high school seniors gain admission to and full four-year scholarships at a variety of selective colleges through an early application process. The QuestBridge application is completely free to students.
National College Match Program
QuestBridge’s National College Match program consists of two parts:
- Students submit the College Match application to QuestBridge and rank up to 12 of QuestBridge’s partner schools based on their preferences. QuestBridge evaluates these students and selects finalists. QuestBridge forwards the applications of finalists to partner schools that the students have identified as their top choices (up to 12).
- The partner schools evaluate the students’ applications and select students for admission; these students are “matched” with their choice schools. Students who are selected for admission to multiple colleges attend—and “match” with—the institution at the top of the ranking list that was submitted with their application. You can see how National College Match works [pdf] or watch this helpful video.
Students who match with a partner college receive a full four-year scholarship. This scholarship covers the entire cost of college (tuition, room, board, and other expenses), is loan-free, and requires no parental contribution.
How to Apply
Students must follow the application timeline designated by QuestBridge. Students choosing to participate in the National College Match must also submit additional materials, such as financial aid documents, to Swarthmore by the stated deadlines on Swarthmore’s QuestBridge requirements site. The QuestBridge Application Conversion form is not required for any National College Match applicants prior to Dec. 1.
Non-finalists and those finalists who do not match to a partner college may convert their QuestBridge application to a Swarthmore application by completing the QuestBridge Application Conversion form and indicating an application plan (Fall Early Decision, Winter Early Decision, or Regular Decision). This eliminates the need to submit a separate application for admission to Swarthmore beyond the QuestBridge application. Swarthmore is committed to meeting full financial need with loan-free financial aid packages for all students admitted to the College.
- You can search Frequently Asked Questions on the QuestBridge website.
- If you have specific questions about the QuestBridge partnership with Swarthmore, please email us.
- If you need to submit financial aid documents as part of your QuestBridge application to Swarthmore, please upload them via IDOC.
- Our current QuestBridge Scholars are here to talk with you! If you have questions for a current QB Swattie, please email the Executive Board; your email will be answered by a current Swarthmore student who participated in QuestBridge while in high school.