Skip to main content

Apply as a Transfer Student

Two students talking in art studio

You may apply for transfer admission if you have completed the equivalent of two or more semesters of college or university-level coursework by the end of the current academic year. We make admissions decisions on a case-by-case basis for students who have completed less than the equivalent of two semesters of college or university-level coursework. We discourage transfer applications from students who have completed the equivalent of six or more semesters of college coursework. Students who have already completed a bachelor’s degree or higher are not eligible for transfer admission. Swarthmore admits transfer students each year for fall enrollment only. 

Transfer applications will go live in the fall. The deadline to apply for fall 2021 enrollment is April 1, 2021. 

We understand that in the midst of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic that school closures and changes to schedules may make it challenging for schools to send official documents. While our transfer application deadline is April 1, we will allow students to submit materials after the deadline on an as-needed basis. Students should submit their Common Application or Coalition Application by the April 1 deadline. Please get in touch with our transfer coordinator with any questions. We look forward to reviewing your application materials and hope you are staying safe and well in these turbulent times.  


Transfer Application Materials and Application Information

Required Application Materials

  • Common Application or Coalition Application 
  • $60 application fee or fee waiver (Swarthmore College does not charge an application fee for any student currently enrolled in a community or junior college.)
  • Secondary school final report
  • Official final high school transcript(s)
  • Transfer College Report (Common Application form) or Transfer Report (Coalition Application form) from your most recent college/university
  • Official college transcript(s) from all colleges or universities previously attended or currently attending
  • Two academic evaluations, including at least one recommendation from a recent college instructor
  • Transfer Mid-Term Report (Common Application form) or Curriculum Report (Coalition Application form), which is required for applicants who are currently enrolled in a college or university

Optional Application Materials

  • Self-reported or official standardized test scores
  • Swarthmore offers transfer applicants the opportunity to interview with an alum in an applicant’s local area.
International Transfer Applicants

If you are an international student and have matriculated at another university in the U.S. or abroad, you must apply as a transfer student to Swarthmore, even if you are willing to forego the credit you earned elsewhere. International transfer students who require financial aid to attend are not eligible for transfer. All international transfer applicants must document complete financial independence for their total time at Swarthmore and must document all courses taken for credit or non-credit at all secondary and tertiary educational institutions prior to enrollment at Swarthmore.


Undocumented Transfer Applicants

If you have graduated from a U.S. high school, or earned a high school equivalency diploma in the U.S., as an undocumented student or with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status, you may apply for transfer admission, regardless of your financial need. Application review for undocumented and DACA transfer students is need-blind, as it is for domestic applicants.


Veteran Transfer Applicants

Swarthmore College encourages applications from veterans, military service members, and their dependents. The College fosters a culture of civic engagement and public service, and our community welcomes and benefits from the perspectives of service members.

Swarthmore partners with Service To School’s VetLink program to support service members in the admissions process to selective colleges.  VetLink is a free service available to all U.S. veterans and military service members.

Veterans and active-duty service members do not need to pay the $60 application fee when submitting an admissions application to Swarthmore College.

The Registrar’s Office processes requests for U.S. Veterans Affairs (VA) education benefits, and communicates with  the VA regarding enrollment certification. Our registrar, Martin Warner, is Swarthmore’s point  of contact for support services for veterans, military service members, and their families.

Swarthmore participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program. Please review the details about Swarthmore’s support services for veterans.


Financial Aid for Transfer Applicants

Please review financial aid application instructions and deadlines for transfer applicants who are U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or students who are undocumented or have received Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status and graduated from a U.S. high school or earned a high school equivalency diploma in the U.S.

Financial aid is not available for international transfer students.


Learn More 

We encourage students to join our mailing list to receive information about transferring to Swarthmore. If you would like to talk to a current student who transferred to Swarthmore, visit Ask a Transfer Swattie. If you have questions, please email our Transfer Coordinator Joshua Throckmorton or Registrar Martin Warner. Please review the Registrar's guide for information about credits eligible for transfer to Swarthmore.

Transfer coordinators at two-year institutions are also encouraged to contact Joshua with any questions.