The next four years of your life will be a time of incredible intellectual and personal growth. The Dean of Students Division staff facilitate your transition to the Swarthmore College community and your successful journey to graduation. We want to help you take full advantage of the opportunities that you will find here. To that end, the Dean’s Division Directory will tell you a bit about who we are. You should make particular note of Karen Henry ’87, dean of the first-year class.
Please read the information on this website, and be sure to complete the required Forms by the deadlines.
We encourage you to begin reflecting on a core set of questions, which are known as "queries" in the Quaker tradition. These queries form the foundation of your New Student Orientation and your college experience:
- Who am I now, and what are my core beliefs and values?
- What qualities and values do I need to develop in order to live in community with others?
- How will I engage with the conflicts and challenges I will experience internally and in relation to others?
- How will I take care of myself and tend to my well-being?
- Do I understand that experiencing challenges is normal, and can I see asking for help as a strength?
On May 15, we mailed information to all students who were admitted by May 8 and who are coming to Swarthmore for the Fall semester. That info includes instructions on how to log into your mySwarthmore account and set up your Swarthmore email account. (Students admitted later will be mailed information approximately every two weeks.)
Setting up your Swarthmore email account is essential. You should get in the habit of regularly checking your Swarthmore email and using it to ask questions or share concerns. Email is the College’s primary way of communicating with you. If you have a question or can't find what you need here, please email email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
Room assignments for first-year and transfer students will be sent via Swarthmore email to incoming students on August 1.