Information for Counselors
Wondering if Swarthmore could be a good fit for your students? Here’s some information to help you get to know Swarthmore and the types of students that thrive in our academically vigorous residential community.
We Are Swarthmore.
- A highly selective liberal arts and sciences college in Swarthmore, Pa., just 11 miles outside Philadelphia, the sixth largest city in the United States.
- A community of about 1,640 students who come from all over the United States and more than 75 countries.
- A college that offers academic programs ranging from ancient history to engineering to theater, as well as a unique Honors Program.
- An institution committed to educational access, as demonstrated by our strong financial aid policies.
What Makes a ‘Swattie’?
Swarthmore students — or “Swatties” — are deeply curious thinkers and doers constantly asking the “why” and “how” questions of the world around them. They are interested in collaborating across differences to create solutions for the common good. In an effort to help you identify who may be a Swattie, we’ve shared a list of qualities and attributes we elevate in our application review process.
How You Can Connect
There are a few ways for you and your students to learn more about Swarthmore.
- Do you have specific questions? Email your regional dean to ask.
- Looking for a general introduction to Swarthmore? Watch our pre-recorded information session, join a Virtual Campus Tour, or view our Guide for Counselors, Advisors, and Community-Based Organizations [PDF].
- Is your school hosting a virtual college fair or program? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
- Do your students want to learn about Swarthmore from a current Swattie? Encourage them to visit our students' SwatStories blog or Ask a Swattie page.
- Do your students want to know how much it might cost them to attend Swarthmore? Point them toward our net price calculator.
- Are your students interested in hearing more from us? Ask them to join our mailing list.
We hope you will encourage your intellectually curious, collaborative students from all backgrounds to consider Swarthmore College, and we look forward to working with you and your students.