Swarthmore's Theater Department is an educational and artistic laboratory – a place for expanding the talents and intellect of students and faculty alike.
At Swarthmore, we combine a rigorous liberal arts education with a practical exploration of performance that emphasizes experimentation and collaboration. The Department values engagement with both scripted and devised work, and seeks to involve students in all aspects of production.
We continually seek new working relationships between the academy and the professional theater, inviting guest artists to be teachers, collaborators, and mentors for our students. Our department aims to nourish each student's individual talents and aspirations, and encourages students to build connections between theater, other disciplines, their lived experience, and the world at large.
If you are a current student who would like to receive periodic updates about upcoming events and ways to get involved in our productions, please fill out this form.
Learn more about courses offered by the department of theater:
(Courses in bold do not require a prerequisite)
- THEA002A - Acting 1 (Torra)
- THEA 002B. - Voice Workshop for Performance (Pernell)
- THEA004A - Set Design (Saunders)
- THEA004E - Sound Design (Atkinson)
- THEA005D - Warming Up: Performing Ecology (Stevens)
- THEA006 - Playwriting Workshop (Shaplin)
- THEA012 - Acting 2 (Pernell)
- THEA106 - Theater History Seminar
- THEA121 - Dramaturgy Seminar (Witt)
Course listings for Fall 2023 and beyond can be found here.