Applications for the 2020-2021 program will open in the spring
- Expectations of Advocates
- Attend two group sustainability trainings over the summer
- Meet 30 minutes weekly with their liaison Green Advisor
- Attend occasional one-on-one meetings with the Sustainability Program Manager
- Develop and implement a year-long sustainability project
- Share updates on Advocates work at departmental meetings
- Attend additional professional development workshops and Ecosphere campus events as available
- Begin to think more about sustainability in your life and your sphere of influence!
Advocates will be asked to identify small-scale sustainability projects that can be realistically implemented during their time in the program. Part of the goal of training is to equip Advocates with the knowledge and skills to solidify their projects, as well as to identify areas for collaboration with other Advocate/Green Advisor pairs.
We ask that applicants come to the program with some idea of what they might want to work on for their department. Additionally, we place a strong focus on departmental waste education and ask each Advocate and their partner Green Advisor to work on:
- Hosting waste sorting trainings within the department
- Exploring the possibility of transitioning to 'buddy bins' for their departments (more information on these can be found at the bottom of this page)
- 2019-2020 Application Instructions
APPLICATIONS ARE DUE ON WEDNESDAY, JULY 10 AT 11:59 PM.
Application forms can be found here. Please note that the application is a Google Form and cannot be saved prior to submission. This application will also require you to submit a signed approval from your supervisor confirming their understanding of your Sustainability Advocates commitment (see application form for this secondary document).
Submission of an application is not a guarantee of inclusion in the program. Sustainability Advocates and Green Advisors are matched one-to-one, so we have a cap on the size of the Advocates cohort. You will be notified of your status by several days after the application period closes at the latest.
There are several required trainings during the summer:
- Meet with the Sustainability Program Manager 1:1 to discuss your project in July/August
- Full-day training only for Sustainability Advocates:
9:30 am - 3:30 pm on either Friday, July 26 OR Thursday, August 1
- Half-day training training with all Advocates and student Green Advisors:
10:00 am - 2:00 pm on Friday, August 23
Lunch will be provided for both of the group trainings. We recognize that these dates may not work for you due to work or vacation commitments, but our hope is that most applicants would be able to make one of the two full-day trainings that we are offering. It is imperative that the '18-19 Advocates cohort receives training and meets the Green Advisors before the semester gets into full swing.