Swarthmore's pedestrian oriented campus encourages walking, biking, and the use of public transportation.
- A 2010 inventory shows that 25% of employee commutes are made by walking, biking, or taking public transportation.
- Swarthmore participates in TransitChek, which allows employees of the college to purchase transit passes with pre-tax dollars, making the discount worth 20%, or more depending on the employee's income bracket. The TransitChek salary reduction agreement is available in the main HR office, Pearson 110 and on the HR web site in the Forms section.
- The college operates shuttles to help community members get to nearby colleges, Philadephia, the airport, and local shopping destinations.
- The college is well served by the area's transit authority -- SEPTA -- which runs buses, subway, and light rail throughout the greater Philadelphia region.
- Bike racks are provided throughout the campus, making bike commutes easy.
- Swarthmore College partners with ZipCar to provide car sharing as a convenient transportation alternative to bringing a car to campus. Sign-up here.
Swarthmore College partners with ZipCar to provide car sharing as a convenient transportation alternative to bringing a car to campus. The ZipCars are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for students, faculty, and staff ages 18 and older, as well as members of the local community ages 21 and over. Click here to learn more or to participate.
Alternative Transportation Guide
In addition to the College-operated shuttle, community members can access shopping and attraction throughout the broader Philadelphia region through SEPTA's public transit system or by biking and walking. The Sustainability Office maintains an alternative transportation guide to help community members take advantage of the full range of transportation options available on campus and off.
Media (the closest large town to Swarthmore)
Movie Theater -- The College-run movie shuttle runs between Parrish Circle and the Marple AMC Movie Theater on Fridays and Saturdays between 7 PM and 1 AM. However, note that drop-offs end at 11 PM.
Bryn Mawr and Haverford Colleges (Bi-co) -- There Tri-College Consortium operates a shuttle service. More information can be found on the Dash on on the Tri-co shuttle site.