Name Changes

Support for Name Changes

The Swarthmore Registrar's Office offers support name changes including the use of a chosen name.

We can arrange to have your chosen name appear in most non-private situations across the college, including class lists, directories, diploma, commencement program and the college ID card.

For students who want their swarthmore email userid to reflect their chosen name, it is possible but much more involved to change the network/email userid to follow the matching pattern for the chosen name. This would require scheduled down-time, so expect to work closely with the registrar on this.

Swarthmore uses your legal name for legal documents like the transcript, bill, financial aid, and pay checks. We routinely use the chosen name on your college ID card because of its importance in the college social life. However, keep in mind that college id is potentially also voter id, you might need other id for that purpose.

Please be advised that because we use your legal name in the administrative computer, sometimes the legal name appears in an unexpected context. If it does and you would like it not to, the registrar can usually figure out how to use the chosen name in that context instead.

To change your legal name see the Registrar's Office for instructions. The college will need to see your new social security card.

New students should please be sure the personal information form reflects their chosen name.

If you would like to use your chosen name generally across the college, or if you would like your network/email id changed to reflect your chosen name, please work with the registrar, Martin Warner.

You may speak with any of the deans about name changes and other support for students. Swarthmore is committed to creating inclusive, respectful, and supportive spaces for all students.

For more information about LGBTQ+ student groups and LGBTQ+ advocacy and support, please explore the Intercultural Center or speak with a dean.