Commencement will take place on May 22, 2022. More detailed information will be shared when available.
- All PE requirements must be fulfilled by the last day of classes on April 29, 2022.
- By mid-April look for an email from the registrar asking you to verify the correct listing of your name, major(s) and minor(s) for your diploma and the graduation list. See more about names, below.
- All financial obligations must be met by noon on May 13, 2022.
- All academic work and academic requirements (except honors orals) must be fulfilled by the last day of finals on May 12, 2022.
- All transfer credit must be received by April 29, 2022.
- All library materials must be returned to the Libraries by May 17, 2022.
- Seniors grades - due Tuesday, May 17, 2022.
By Swarthmore policy, to graduate seniors must be completely finished with degree requirements and approved for graduation by vote of the faculty. (catalog 8.9) . Swarthmore does not permit seniors to walk in Commencement without being completely finished with degree requirements, nor are seniors allowed to participate without actually graduating if they defer their graduation year.
Verify Graduation Name listing and Diploma information
In April the registrar's office sends seniors an email requesting students verify the name, major(s) and minor(s) for their diploma. Students may email the registrar now to make any needed changes; see more options below.
Full legal names are printed on the diploma and graduation list, unless otherwise requested.
- Students intending to use the diploma as an international document (for working abroad) or as a legal document should use their legal name.
- The graduation list is not a legal document and names need not be a legal name.
- Information on chosen names may be found here.
To include accent marks on the diploma or Graduation List, please email email@example.com and we will make an effort to include such markings, as possible. Students are also welcome to send a photo of hand-written names with markings included.
Majors and Minors
Majors and minors may be confirmed by checking the degree audit in mySwarthmore. Any change of major or minor needs departmental approval.
Graduation and Commencement Program Name Lists
The graduation list displays student names and major(s). Bachelor of Arts are listed first, then Bachelor of Science. Minors don't appear in the graduation list. Separate from the list of graduates, there is a list of Honors participants by last name. The Commencement Program also lists honorary awards to members of the graduating class: Phi Beta Kappa, Sigma Xi, Tau Beta Pi, Fellowships and Prizes and Pennsylvania Teacher Certification.
Students who prefer not to be included in the Graduation List or the Commencement program must notify the registrar in writing by April 29, 2022.
DEGREEs and diplomas
The Swarthmore diploma includes a student's name, degree, level of honors earned (if applicable), major(s) and minor(s).
Swarthmore awards the Bachelor of Arts degree for all its majors except the Engineering major, which earns a Bachelor of Science. Swarthmore students earning majors in Engineering and another field earn two degrees and two diplomas.
The honors designation is awarded by the College, not by a particular department. Honors listed on the diploma will not be attributed to a particular major. The diploma lists the level of honors earned on one line, followed by major(s) and minor(s) on separate lines.
Participation in the graduation ceremony is encouraged but not required. After the faculty have approved the candidates for graduation and degree requirements have been reviewed, student degrees will be recorded and students will be graduated.
Seniors who are not graduating this year, see:
Students who plan to complete the degree requirements in December should visit https://www.swarthmore.edu/registrar/december-finisher
UPDATE YOUR Graduation Year