Coming to Swarthmore
For Bryn Mawr, Haverford and UPenn Students: How to Register for Courses at Swarthmore
Note: Swarthmore registration dates are later than yours. Please be patient.
The Swarthmore tri-college and Penn exchanges are available only to enrolled full-time undergraduate degree candidates.
The required form: Bryn Mawr, Haverford, and UPenn students coming to Swarthmore
Spring 2019 Important Dates
- Swarthmore Registration for Bryn Mawr, Haverford and UPenn Starts: Monday, Dec 3, 2018.
- Swarthmore Add/Drop period ends: Friday, February 1, 2019.
- Swarthmore Classes/Seminars Begin: Tuesday, January 22, 2019.
- Swarthmore Classes/Seminars End: Friday, May 3, 2019.
- Swarthmore Final Course Examinations End: Thursday, May 16, 2019.
Fall 2019 Important Dates
- Registration for classes will begin after Swarthmore pre-registration ends
- Swarthmore Add/Drop period ends: Friday, September 13, 2019.
- Swarthmore Classes/Seminars Begin: Monday, September 2, 2019.
- Swarthmore Classes/Seminars End: Tuesday, December 10, 2019.
- Swarthmore Final Course Examinations End: Saturday, December 21, 2019.
In order to complete the Swarthmore registration you must:
- Complete the top portion of the Enrollment for Non-Swarthmore Students Form, secure the appropriate Swarthmore College Professor signatures, enter CRN# and submit the form to the Swarthmore College Registrar's office at 128 Parrish Hall. If the office is not open please slip the form in the door slot.
- Bryn Mawr, Haverford and UPENN students who wish to take a course at Swarthmore must register at BOTH Swarthmore and their own school.
Students taking courses at Swarthmore do so under the rules concerning papers, examinations, grading, deadlines for completed work and so on, that pertain at Swarthmore (i.e., please be aware that beginning Languages at Swarthmore are year-long courses; both semesters are required for credit). Students should plan ahead so as to manage their work successfully on this basis. Exceptions based on difference of procedures between other regulations or calendar and ours will not be granted.
If you drop a course at Swarthmore, you must notify BOTH the Swarthmore College Registrar's office and your own college.
Proxy option: If you can’t do the registration paperwork yourself, Swarthmore permits you to ask a friend to be an informal proxy to complete and submit the paperwork for you (Swarthmore does not provide proxies). The form should be signed by the proxy with his or her name plus the notation “Proxy for (name of person proxying for)” Transportation Advisory: The three colleges support the Tri-Co Van shuttle service. This is the only transportation Swarthmore makes available. Learn the schedule and use it wisely. If you miss the last shuttle or if shuttle service stops due to inclement weather or emergency, you are advised to seek safe emergency housing through the public safety office of the campus on which you find yourself, then contact your professors as needed to let them know why you are not coming and arrange to make up the work, and await the next shuttle as it becomes available.
Seniors MUST make arrangements for the Bryn Mawr/Haverford Senior Grade Deadline (early May) with Swarthmore instructor when requesting approval to add a spring class.