Open Enrollment 2023
Find the 2024 Open Enrollment page here.
Enrollment Period | Open Enrollment Presentation and Virtual Benefits Fair | Benefitfocus Enrollment | 2023 Benefit Rates | Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts | Open Enrollment Materials | Summaries of Benefits and Coverage | Voluntary Benefits Information | Additional Resources
The annual Open Enrollment period is generally the only time during the year when you can make changes to your benefit elections and enroll or disenroll yourself and/or your dependents. This year, benefits elections are passive; if you do not log onto Benefitfocus to update your plan elections, your selections from last year will automatically roll over. The only exceptions to this process apply to Health Savings Accounts (HSA), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), and the Keystone Point of Service Plan (POS) . If you would like to continue your participation in or newly enroll in an HSA or FSA plan, you must log into Benefitfocus and do so. Additionally, participants in the Keystone Point of Service Plan (POS) must elect new medical coverage for 2023. Plan elections made during this time will take effect on Jan. 1, 2023.
Please note the deadline for open enrollment is MONDAY, Nov. 7.
If you currently participate in a Medical Flexible Spending Account, Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, or Health Savings Account, you must actively elect or re-enroll in this account by Monday, Nov. 7. Additionally, participants in the Keystone Point of Service Plan (POS) must elect new medical coverage for 2023 by Monday, Nov. 7.
Virtual Benefits Fair
You may also access our virtual benefits fair at any time throughout the open enrollment period to learn more about our medical, dental, disability, retirement, and other benefits offerings. At the virtual benefits fair, you will find 2023 plan year program details, the 2023 Benefit Guidebook, benefit summaries, information on added services from our insurance partners, educational videos on your benefits, and more helpful information about your benefits elections for the coming year.
Benefitfocus Enrollment System
Our benefits enrollment system, Benefitfocus, serves as the enrollment tool for Swarthmore College employees’ benefits. Benefitfocus allows employees to learn about their benefit options, select the plans that are right for them, and easily manage their enrollment in medical, dental, vision and life insurance plans. It also lets employees manage their health savings account (HSA), flexible spending accounts (FSA), transit benefits, and more.
Benefitfocus is also available for employees to make mid-year life event qualifying changes, as allowed by plan rules, and will act as the document repository for such changes.
Benefitfocus can be accessed through MySwarthmore by following the instructions. You may also download the Benefitfocus mobile app (Benefitplace) from the Google Play or Apple App Store; use the company code Swarthmore.
Instructions for Accessing Benefitfocus
- Log into your mySwarthmore account.
- Select the Employee menu at the top of the page.
- Select Benefitfocus Employee Login.
- Select Click Here to Enroll or Change your Benefits on the right side of the Welcome screen. You will then be directed to the Benefits Portal.
- Following the welcome message, click Next, then select Get Started.
- You will be presented with screens listing all of your current contact information and dependents (if applicable). If all information is correct, click Next through each prompt.
- If you do not see a dependent(s) you wish to cover listed, click the Add Dependent button to begin adding the dependent(s). If a dependent child is older than six months, you will be required to enter their SSN.
- The next screen will list your 2023 benefit enrollment options. Any section that requires an annual election (FSA, HSA, Dependent Care), will have a box that reads Enroll Here. You will be required to finish these sections before you can complete your enrollment.
- If you wish to change any benefit plan, you must select the Edit Coverage option in the appropriate section. Some examples include: changing medical plan or dental plan, or enrolling in any voluntary benefits for the first time.
- If you wish to decline a benefit, click the Decline Coverage option on the right side of the appropriate plan section.
- If you wish to change medical plans, follow through the prompts to select your new medical plan and click Save.
- You will be offered a medical flexible spending account (or HSA if applicable), and a dependent care spending account next. Make your election or decline this benefit.
- The next screen will summarize your elections so far. Click Save in green.
- Once all sections have been completed, you will need to check the box under I Have Reviewed the Information Above. You will then need to select the green Complete Enrollment icon at the bottom of the screen. Then you will receive a acknowledgement message stating you have sucessfully completed your enrollment. You will also have the option to download a copy of your Benefit Summary Report.
If you select one of the High Deductible Health Plans, you will have the option to enroll in a Health Savings Account (HSA) that allows you to save pre-tax funds for your annual deductible as well as other qualified medical expenses now and in the future. The College also makes an employer HSA contribution for all full time employees.
Health care Flexible Spending Account contributions are limited to $2,850 per year and Dependent Care Flexible Spending account contributions are limited to $5,000 per year.
Important Information on Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts
If you want to enroll or continue your enrollment in either the Medical Flexible Spending Account, the Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, or the Health Savings Account you must enroll every year. Your current elections will not be rolled forward. Please note you must enroll in the HSA if you wish to receive the College contribution.
You may also enroll in a Limited Purpose Flexible Spending Account. If you have a Health Savings Account (HSA) the IRS eligibility rules don’t allow you to also have a Full Purpose Health Care FSA. A Limited Purpose FSA is designed specifically for employees who enroll in the High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) and have a HSA. A Limited Purpose FSA is available for reimbursement of dental and vision expenses only.
- Benefits Guidebook
- High Deductible Health Plans & Health Savings Account
- Keystone HMO & Personal Choice PPO & HDHP Plans Comparison [pdf]
- Telehealth, Preventive and Wellness Care
- Vision Plan Summary [pdf]
- Dental Plan Summary [pdf]
- Required Notices 2022-2023 [pdf]
- Keystone HMO [pdf]
- Personal Choice PPO [pdf]
- Personal Choice HDHP [pdf]
- Personal Choice HDHP Basic [pdf]
- Additional Life Insurance and Additional Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance [pdf]
- MetLaw Plan Description [pdf]
- Pets Best Pet Health Insurance