Chamber Music, Fall 2022
If you enjoy making music in small groups with others, consider taking part in the Fetter Chamber Music Program (Music 47)! We support all types of small musical ensembles (usually defined as one person per part) in any genre. All instruments (including voices) are welcome. Here's how the program works:
- Students may propose a group that they have already formed with others, or may ask to be placed into a group. We make every effort to organize groups, though sometimes it is necessary to wait until the following semester to find the right match. Groups are organized on a first-come, first-served basis. Since space in the program is limited, sign up early! Truly all genres are welcome - we've supported improv, tango, mariachi, vocal ensembles, percussion ensembles, duets, trios, quartets, and more, and we're always open to new ideas.
- If you're new to the program, you just need to perform a short audition for Andrew Hauze to place you in the program. Pre-recorded video auditions are encouraged to enable groups to be organized during the month of August. You may also wait and audition in person during the first week of classes. (This can be the same audition as your Orchestra or Wind Ensemble audition if you're already auditioning for those ensembles.) Please email Andrew Hauze to arrange a video audition, or sign up here to audition during the first week of classes.
- Students attend 10 one-hour coachings during the semester with an assigned coach. All coachings should take place in-person when possible.
- Students work together in rehearsal for at least one hour per week outside of their coachings.
- All participants perform on one of the Fetter Chamber Music concerts toward the end of the semester.
- At least one member of each group registers for Music 47 for 0.5 credit (the other members may register for 0.5 or 0 credit, according to their preference). The students registered for credit write short program notes (2-3 paragraphs) on the music they are preparing.
- One semester of participation in a Music Program Ensemble (Chinese Music Ensemble, Chorus, Jazz Ensemble, Gamelan, Orchestra, Taiko, or Wind Ensemble is a prerequisite (for returning students) or co-requisite (for new or returning students) for each semester of MU47 participation. This applies to every student in every Fetter group. It is expected that Fetter students will play the same instrument/voice in their Departmental Ensemble, unless their instrument is not included in a Departmental Ensemble. In that case, students may satisfy this requirement by joining the College Chorus, Gamelan, Taiko, or Chinese Music Ensemble.