Apply for SISS
Social Impact Summer Scholarships (SISS) support students pursuing unpaid positions with host organizations that empower them to add dimension to their undergraduate course work while advancing the organization's mission, goals, and objectives. All applicants are required to have a summer funding advising session with a Lang Center Associate or Lang Center staff member before submitting an application through the Lang Center Common App.
These scholarship are offered annually and generally follow a regular timeline:
- October - Required advising opens for the following summer's grant cycle
- January 15 - Applications open
- February 15 - Applications due
- March - Award decisions rendered
- April - Pre-summer training and preparation for ethical engagement
- June-August - Student internships, paired with guided activities and reflection facilitated by the Lang Center
- September - Reconvene and share experience with campus community
For Summer 2024, applications will be due on February 15. Students do not need to have a secured internship at the time of application.
Students are encouraged to look through our Lang Center Summer Grant Handbook for complete information about eligibility and other requirements.
Social Impact Organizations Map
Current Swarthmore students are invited to utilize our Social Impact Organizations Map (login required)—which provides information on 300+ organizations at which Swarthmore students have had impactful experiences in the recent past—to research potential host organizations. Please note that these organizations operate independently of Swarthmore College and their appearance on this map is not an official endorsement of the organization.