Skip to main content

Understanding your I-20

The I-20 is a multi-purpose document issued by a U.S. government-approved educational institution certifying that a student has been admitted to a full-time study program and that the student has demonstrated sufficient financial resources to stay in the U.S. The I-20 is officially titled the “Certificate of Eligibility” because it allows an individual to apply for an F-1 student visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate abroad.

How is an I-20 created?

After a school completes the admissions process, the school collects necessary financial support and identification documentation for admitted international students requesting F-1 status. Those student names and biographic information are entered into a U.S. government database called SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). The SEVIS database processes the information and produces an I-20. The school official (called the Primary Designated School Official/Designated School Official or PDSO/DSO) prints and signs the I-20 and then delivers it to the student. If a student needs to update or change information on the I-20, the P/DSO makes these requests through SEVIS to produce a new document.

How is the I-20 used?

Outside the U.S.:  After receiving an I-20 from a school, an international student must make an appointment to apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate (the visa is needed to be allowed entry into the U.S. in F-1 status).  Students must present both the F-1 visa and the I-20 to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer upon arrival at the U.S. port-of-entry.

Inside the U.S.:  Once a student has arrived in the U.S. and passes through the border inspections process (either at an airport, seaport or land border), the I-20 is used as identification and proof of legal and academic status. Typically, students must show their I-20 at the Social Security Office and the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The I-20 is also shown to employers in the hiring process for employment. Off-campus employment information and/or authorization will be printed on page 2 of the I-20.

Do I need the I-20 for travel?

If traveling abroad, students must take their I-20 with them. The I-20 is required to reapply for a visa (if needed) and for re-entering the U.S. Before departure from the U.S., students should verify that they have a valid travel endorsement on page 2 of the I-20 from Jennifer Marks-Gold or Kathryn Melvin. This signature is valid for one year for multiple visits outside the U.S. 

Why do I have multiple I-20s?

New I-20s are issued to continuing students whenever there is a significant update to a student's record. This includes changes in biographical data, program dates, change of major, the addition of a work authorization, etc. These types of changes are typically prompted by student request.  

What is the I-20 completion date?

The "completion date" is entered on item #5 of the I-20 based on a student's particular major and degree level. This is an estimate of time the College feels it may take to fulfill all degree requirements. However, if a student is not able to finish the program on that date, an extension must be requested from International Student Center at least one month before the completion date expires.

According to U.S. immigration regulations, the "completion date" is defined as the day final degree requirements are completed.  The actual completion date may not necessarily be the day of the graduation ceremony or the date on the I-20 (In fact, many students actually finish degree requirements before the completion date on the I-20).

The 60-day Grace Period

When students complete a study program, they are allowed a 60-day grace period to either 1) depart the U.S., 2) request a school transfer, or 3) change visa status.

Note: Students who are interested in working in the U.S. following their program completion must apply for Optional Practical Training work authorization before the expiration of the 60 day grace period.

What happens if I lose my I-20?

Please complete a Reprint I-20 Request in the ISC Portal. Please note that if you are outside the U.S., you must obtain the replacement I-20 before entering the U.S. to resume your studies. Allow sufficient time for processing.

Should I keep all copies of my I-20s?

Yes. You may obtain several different versions of your I-20s while you are in the U.S. if there are changes to your program or other information. Keep all copies for future reference. Always use the most recently issued I-20 for travel, work or other purposes.