Skip to main content

Traveling on OPT

Required documents to re-enter the U.S. while on post-completion OPT 

Once you have graduated, you are required to show these documents in order to re-enter the U.S. in F-1 status:

  • Valid I-20 - Page two should list your employer's information and be signed by a member of the ISC Team within the last six months.
  • Valid F-1 Visa - If your F-1 visa is expired, you must apply for a new one at a U.S. embassy or consulate prior to your return.  (Note: Canadian citizens do not need a visa.)
  • Valid Passport - The expiration date should be at least six months into the future at any given time.
  • Valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
  • Evidence of a job offer or resumption of employment. If you are returning to the U.S without evidence of a job offer, you may be questioned at the port of entry.

If you need to leave the U.S. before you receive your EAD, speak with Jennifer Marks-Gold.