Skip to main content

Travel for J-1 Scholars

Travel Outside the U.S. And Re-Admission

If you are traveling outside the U.S. on a J-1 visa, you will need the following documents for re-entry:

  • Passport (valid at least 6 months into the future
  • Valid visa (with a stamp showing that multiple entries are permitted)
  • DS-2019 form with valid travel signature. Travel signatures are valid for one year from the date signed by the International Student Center, or until your program end date, whichever is earlier
  • Swarthmore College Hire/Offer Letter (recommended)

After you have returned make sure to check your I-94 form that you entered under the right status.

If you require a travel signature on your DS-2019 for upcoming travel, log into the Scholar Portal to make a request.

Do not misplace your DS-2019 forms. It is recommended that you keep your DS-2019(s) even after you have completed your program.