Curricular Practical Training
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is another way for you to work as an F-1 student off-campus. CPT is defined as experience that is directly related to and integral to your degree here at Swarthmore. CPT is only available to sophomores and juniors and requires collaboration between the International Student Center and your advisor or the head of your department. Before any work can begin the International Student Center will need to authorize you for work.
What you need to apply for CPT
-Registration for credit to be earned for experience
-A declared Major
-1 year of full time academic study
-In good standing as an F-1 student
CPT Step by Step
1. Check to make sure you are eligible for CPT.
2. Attend a CPT Workshop
3. Print out the forms below.
4. Fill out the forms and have a Faculty advisor/ Dept. Chair sign them.
5. Bring the signed forms to the ISC for review. Make sure to include an explanation of how the CPT opportunity directly relates to your major and is an integral part of the curriculum.
6. Register for CXPL with the Registrar's office
7. Make an appointment with the ISC and bring completed documents to have your I-20 printed.