Curricular Practical Training
Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is another way for you to work as an F-1 student off-campus. CPT is defined as experience that is directly related to and integral to your degree here at Swarthmore. CPT is only available to sophomores and juniors and requires collaboration between the International Student Center and your advisor or the head of your department. Before any work can begin the International Student Center will need to authorize you for work.
What you need to apply for CPT
- Job offer
- Registration for credit to be earned for experience
- A declared Major
- 1 year of full time academic study
- In good standing as an F-1 student
CPT Step by Step
- Check to make sure you are eligible for CPT.
- Attend a CPT Workshop
- Register for CXPL with the Registrar's office
- Create a request in your ISC Portal, upload your letter of hire and contact your faculty chair/department head.
- Receive your updated I-20 with CPT endorsed on Page 2 from Jen or Kathryn