Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Under what circumstances is employment authorization needed, and what happens if employment authorization is revoked?

All individuals in the U.S. who seek to be employees must establish that they can lawfully work here. Without valid employment authorization, individuals are not able to be employed in the U.S.; however, they may remain eligible to participate in bona fide unpaid internship programs. For additional information about the legal requirements for bona fide unpaid opportunities, please visit this document. You can also email lreyesp1 if you have any questions about an opportunity.

Can undocumented students apply for funding for summer opportunities?

Yes, they can apply to funding for independent research opportunities. 

See Swarthmore funded opportunities here.

Does Swarthmore offer domestic exchange programs?

Yes, for more information on the programs visit: Global Engagement- Domestic Programs

Can I participate in a study abroad program?

 Yes, if you have DACA and apply for Advanced Parole (AP is a travel document issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that allows certain immigrants to travel outside of the United States and return lawfully) for more information on the programs visit: Global Engagement- Domestic Programs

Can undocumented students pursue professional programs that require state certification or licensing (i.e. education, engineering, nursing)?

The Pennsylvania Board of Law Examiners passed a rule in 2019 (Rule 202) establishing that DACA recipients can be admitted to the state’s bar and cannot be denied a law license based on their immigration status.

Please take a look for more information on professional/occupational licensure requirements, by TheDream.US & Immigrant Finance

What role does Swarthmore's Public Safety officers play with regard to enforcement of federal immigration laws?

The enforcement of federal immigration laws is not part of the mission of Public Safety. Accordingly, except as required by law, Public Safety does not engage in immigration enforcement work and it does not release information on immigration status to local, state, or federal law enforcement agencies.

What immigration-related reporting to the federal government is required by Public Safety?

Federal law encourages cooperation from state and local law enforcement agencies in the enforcement of immigration laws, but does not statutorily mandate this cooperation.

I still have questions. Who can I contact?