Skip to main content

Faculty FAQ

Magill walk at dawn

How do I share academic concerns about a student? What happens when I send my concern?

Please use the “Send Concerns” function in Faculty Services. Concerns are:

  • emailed to the Dean of Academic Success and, if selected (by clicking on the check box): the student, the student’s dean, and the student's advisor(s) 
  • collated and reviewed by the deans at our weekly concerns meeting

There are many factors that could impact a student's academic performance. We welcome faculty to share academic concerns so that we can provide students with support and connect them to resources as needed. We may not always be able to loop back to you regarding your concern, but we welcome your inquiries at any time. Please also don’t hesitate to call or email us with your concerns.


What should I do when I have an urgent concern about a student’s well-being?

Please contact Public Safety at 610-328-8333. Public Safety will respond to the emergency and contact the on-call dean staff as needed.


What should I do if a parent or guardian contacts me about a student?

Please refer the parent or guardian to the Division of Student Affairs Office at 610-328-8365 (weekday business hours) or to Public Safety at 610-328-8333 (in case of emergency).

When should I direct students to a dean?

Please suggest students to make an appointment with a dean if they are:

  • experiencing academic difficulties
  • trying to find balance between academics and other responsibilities
  • looking for mentors here or beyond
  • having a serious health concern and trying to figure out how to approach academics
  • figuring out how to navigate Swarthmore and their communities (home, service, identity, adoptive, global)
  • experiencing personal challenges that are affecting their academics
  • considering taking a semester away from Swarthmore

I have a student who is struggling with time management and/or needs help developing effective study skills.  Where can they get support?

You can refer the student to a Student Academic Mentor (SAM).  SAMs are sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are trained to work with students on the development of skills necessary for academic success at Swarthmore. Those skills include time management, organization, study strategies, and reading techniques.  To refer a student to a SAM, please contact Melissa Mandos (Director of the SAM Program; Fellowships & Prizes Advisor,, 610-328-8363, Parrish West 113).

I have a student who is struggling with course material and THEY COULD BENEFIT FROM WORKING with an individual tutor. Is that possible?

Yes. Individual tutoring is available at no additional cost to the student. Please see the Tutoring website for more details.

What are the scheduling guidelines for academics and athletics?

Please see this link on Provost’s Office guidelines on scheduling conflicts for academics and athletics