If a disagreement arises concerning requested accommodations, the student may appeal the decision. Below are the steps to take.
1. The student must try to resolve the problem informally with the staff of Student Disability Services. Alternatively, the student may contact the Associate Dean of Academic Success to try to resolve the problem informally.
2. If the concerns cannot be informally resolved, the student may appeal.
3. If the dispute concerns academic requirements, the student should address the appeal in writing to the Committee on Academic Requirements (CAR) and deliver the appeal to the Dean of Students. In reviewing an appeal, the CAR may request information from relevant staff members, including Student Disability Services staff.
4. Other concerns may be appealed to the Committee on Documented Disabilities, with the appeal delivered to the Dean of Students. The ad hoc Committee on Disabilities is chaired by the Dean of Students (or designee) and consists of two additional deans appointed by the Dean of Students (or designee). In reviewing an appeal, the Dean of Students may request information from relevant staff members, including Student Disability Services staff.
5. Appeals must be presented in writing within 10 working days following the decision being appealed so that documents can be reviewed, involved individuals can be interviewed and remedial actions can be taken promptly (if required).
6. Replies from the Committee on Documented Disability appeals will be provided within 30 working days or sooner (if possible). In certain cases, the time for response to appeals may be extended upon written consent from both parties.
7. Replies from the Committee on Academic Requirements (CAR) may take longer so it is important that the student initiate the appeal as early as possible. It often takes several weeks to set up a CAR meeting. Furthermore, if the CAR recommends a waiver to a requirement, that waiver must be ratified at the next faculty meeting to take effect.
8. The Office of Equal Opportunity is available to support and guide the student throughout the appeal process. For more information, visit the Swarthmore Equal Opportunity Office website or contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-328-8397.
If a student with a disability feels they have experienced discrimination based on a disability, the student should consult with the staff of Student Disability Services, Associate Dean of Academic Success, Dean of Students, and/or the Equal Opportunity Officer. They can advise the student about the College's procedures and policies concerning discrimination. If a student with a disability has a complaint based on the disability against a college employee or fellow student, the student is encouraged to discuss the concern with the person directly or the student may contact the employee's supervisor, staff of Student Disability Services, Associate Dean of Academic Success, Dean of Students, or the Human Resources office.