How to Apply to be a SAM
PLEASE NOTE: The hiring cycle for the 2020-21 academic year is closed. Please revisit the page in January 2021 for information on how to apply to be a SAM for the 2021-22 academic year.
- The SAM Application utilizes JobX, the College's student employment system. (For more, please visit the JobX and Student Employment Information Page.) Here is the application link via JobX.
- The deadline for completing the application through JobX is 11:59 p.m. on February 17, 2020. As part of the online application, you must upload a question form, your resume, and a copy of your unofficial transcript. All three must be saved in .pdf format before uploading.
- The deadline for two letters of recommendation is 11:59 p.m. on February 17, 2020. The letters must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The recommender should discuss what skills and character traits you possess that would make you a good SAM.
- Once your application is complete, we will contact you to set up an interview.
- Students serving as a DPA, GA, and SAM will receive compensation comparable to the 2019-20 $2800 stipend. Compensation will be determined via the Spring 2020 College budgeting process for 2020-21 and senior staff review.
NOTE: The system allows you 45 minutes to complete and submit your application. Prepare your supplemental materials before logging into the JobX site!
To apply, complete the following steps:
- Select “Student Employees.”
- Click “User Dashboard,” at the top of the righthand column.
- Log in with your Swarthmore credentials.
- Click on “Student Employees” in the top navigation.
- Select “Find a Job” from the drop-down menu.
- Click “Show All Active Jobs” on the top left of the “Select a Quick Search” box.
- Review the disclaimer for on-campus stipend jobs and click “I Agree.”
- The Student Academic Mentor position will appear in the “Active Jobs” list. Click the job title.
- “Click here to apply for this job” on the top left of the screen.
- Read and complete all portions of application, as they contain important information on eligibility, remuneration, dates of employment, spring training, and more.
- Some data will be prepopulated into the application from your Banner account. Please review it to make sure it is correct.
- Upload the required files.
- Be sure to have two letters of recommendation submitted to email@example.com.
- Click “Submit.”