You should consult the College Catalog for requirements for both the major and the minor, as well as for the interdisciplinary programs. Along with the catalog, you should also consult the individual department or program websites. Each academic department and program lists projected courses for the next two years on their website.
Each department and program offers a required, hour-long information session during the first two weeks of the application process. Unless the session time conflicts with your class schedule, you must attend the info sessions for all of your prospective majors and minors. If you have a class schedule conflict then ask a friend to attend and take notes for you.
The department and program info session schedule for 2020 is:
Tuesday, January 28, 2020
4:30 pm, Latin-American & Latino Studies, Kohlberg 334
4:30 pm, Individualized Special Major, Science 102 - note: this session is just for students who are exploring self-designed, individualized majors; this session is not for regularized special majors like Cognitive Science, Neuroscience, etc.
4:30 pm, Philosophy, Beardsley 316
5:30 pm, Classics, Trotter 115
4: 15 pm, Psychology, Science Center 101
5: 15 pm, Neuroscience, Science Center 101
6:00 pm, History, Trotter 301
6:30 pm, Cognitive Science, Science Center 102
Wednesday, January 29, 2020
4:30 pm, Sociology & Anthropology, Kohlberg 228
4:30 pm, Religion & Islamic Studies, Pearson 210
6:30 pm, Economics, Kohlberg 115
6:30 pm, Honors Information Session, Kohlberg – Scheuer Room
Thursday, January 30, 2020
4:30 pm, Art & Art History, Beardsley 318
4:30 pm, Asian Studies, Japanese, and Chinese, Kohlberg 226
4:30 pm, Arabic, German Studies, French, and Russian, Kohlberg 228
4:30 pm, Comparative Literature, Beardsley 211 B
4:30 pm, Black Studies, Kohlberg 236
4:30 pm, Spanish, Kohlberg 328
4:30 pm, Music, Lang Music Building Green Room 303
4:30 pm, Gender & Sexuality Studies, Kohlberg 230
Friday, January 31, 2020
11:30 am – 1:00 pm, Dance, LPAC- Lang Music 406
2:00 pm – 3:00 pm, Film & Media Studies, Kohlberg 228
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm, Global Studies, Kohlberg 115
Monday, February 3, 2020
4:30 pm, Educational Studies, Pearson 220 EMC
4:30 pm, Medieval Studies, LPAC 201
6:30 pm, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Science Center 183
Tuesday, February 4, 2020
4:30 pm, Computer Science, Science Center 101
4:30 pm, Peace & Conflict Studies, Kohlberg 115
5:00 pm, English Literature, LPAC 201
6:30 pm, Physics & Astronomy, Science Center 128
6:30 pm, Biology, Science Center 101
Wednesday, February 5, 2020
4:30 pm, Mathematics & Statistics, Science Center 199
4:30 pm, Engineering, Singer Hall 033
4:30 pm, Interpretation Theory, Kohlberg 340 (Prof. Forrester’s office)
4:30 pm, Linguistics, Pearson 115
6:30 pm, Environmental Studies, Kohlberg 116
6:30 pm, Political Science, Trotter 203
Thursday, February 6, 2020
6:30 pm, Theater, Kohlberg 116
General instructions for Faculty access to view Sophomore Plans:
Go to the Majors and Minors Departmental Portal: www.swarthmore.edu/appgarden
In the Majors and Minors Departmental Portal, all faculty and departmental administrative staff can read students' sophomore plans and can review lists of majors/minors for their own departments/programs. But, only chairs, AAs and coordinators can enter decisions or assign advisors.
How to view plans? The deadline for the Class of 2022 to submit their plans is March 2, 2020. In the portal, click on the magnifying glass or the PDF icon to the left of the student’s name. The very first time that you want to access the PDFs, you will need to:
- Click on the tab that you want (e.g.“Sophomore Plan Submissions”)
- Click on the “Action” button
- Select “Reset” option
- Click on “Apply” button
Note: The Sophomore Plan PDFs are only available if you are accessing the portal from on-campus, or via a VPN connection.
Problems? Some faculty might find that they are not seeing all the plans that they should in the portal. For example, someone might find that she can see plans for students in her home department, but not plans for students in her affiliated programs. If you encounter this problem, please email Associate Registrar Lesa Shieber for help.
For Sophomore Plan Advisors:
How do I access a list of students for whom I will serve as their Sophomore Plan Advisor? After February 13 (or if an Administrative Assistant has advised you that assignments are complete for your department or programs):
- Go to the Majors and Minors Departmental Portal in appGarden. (Sophomore Plan Advisor assignments do not appear in Faculty Services.)
- Click on the Majors/Minors left-hand tab. Select the Majors or Minors option, depending on whether you'd like to see prospective Majors or Minors.
- Select Class of 2022 in the drop-down menu. This summons a list of all sophomores who have indicated a major or minor in your affiliated department/programs.
- Click on the Sophomore Plan Advisor column heading to sort the column in the order of Advisor Name, or click on your name to only see your Sophomore Plan Advisees.
What is a Sophomore Plan Advisor?
A Sophomore Plan Advisor is a faculty advisor who meets with sophomores in February to help them craft a viable sophomore plan.
- Who? In some departments, Sophomore Plan Advising is done by one faculty member for all sophomores. In other departments this responsibility falls on multiple faculty members. Your department chair or administrative assistant will tell you if you have Sophomore Plan advising responsibilities.
- For how long? Duration of the Sophomore Plan process. In some departments, a student's Sophomore Plan Advisor also then becomes their major or minor advisor upon acceptance or deferral.
- Course Minors? Many departments do not assign Sophomore Plan Advisors for prospective course minors.