Skip to main content

Travel Documents for F-1 Students

When you travel into the U.S. you will need to present the following documents at the U.S. port of entry:

  1. Valid Passport
  2. Valid F-1 Visa (except for passport holders from Canada)
  3. Valid form I-20 with signature less than one year old on page 2
  4. Proof of I-901 (SEVIS) fee payment
  5. Swarthmore Transcripts
  6. Financial Information (optional)

If students have issues entering the U.S. more than once, they may submit a request to DHS TRIP

Traveling on OPT

Travel recommendations do not change for Pre-Completion OPT. Please refer to the above instructions.

Required documents to re-enter the U.S. while on post-completion OPT 

Once you have graduated, you are required to show these documents in order to re-enter the U.S. in F-1 status:

  • Valid I-20 - Page two should list your employer's information and be signed by Jen or Kathryn within the last six months.
  • Valid F-1 Visa - If your F-1 visa is expired, you must apply for a new one at a U.S. embassy or consulate prior to your return.  (Note: Canadian citizens do not need a visa.)
  • Valid Passport - The expiration date should be at least six months into the future at any given time.
  • Valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
  • Evidence of a job offer or resumption of employment. If you are returning to the U.S without evidence of a job offer, you may be questioned at the port of entry.

If you need to leave the U.S. before you receive your EAD, speak with Jennifer Marks-Gold.