Green Events Guide
Simple Steps with Huge Impact
Download a PDF of this information here.
Before Your Event
- Use online mediums to promote your event; if you are a student group, OSE interns can help with this and other aspects of campus event planning!
- Communicate beforehand that this is a green event.
- If you have to print materials, do so double-sided and on reused/recycled paper; otherwise, tell your guests to bring personal devices instead.
- Enter a specific start and end time when scheduling your event on Swat Central, as heat and A/C schedules are based on time scheduled.
- When booking space on Swat Central, request compost bins.
Purchasing and Catering
- Aim for a "plant-forward" menu.
- Ask your caterer for reusable or compostable wares.
- Have people RSVP ahead of time so you know how much food to order, to reduce food waste at your event.
- Buy compostable tablewear at the Swarthmore Campus and Community Store.
- You can email Mike Harper (firstname.lastname@example.org) ahead of time with the amount you need.
- Ask guests to bring reusable utensils and mugs.
- Use reusable nametags and decorations when possible.
During Your Event
- Make sure waste receptacles are conveniently placed.
- If not already displayed on waste receptacles, put up the College's newest waste disposal signage.
- Remind guests of sustainability intentions and announce this is a green event.
- Explain to attendees how to sort their waste.
- Collect name tags at the end for reuse.
- Encourage guests to take leftovers with them.
After Your Event
- Turn everything off when not in use.
- Send a thank-you note to guests letting them know how successful their waste reduction efforts were!
- Consider collecting data from your events, if possible.
- Reflect on and make note of what worked well and what can be improved upon for next time!