Travel Health and Vaccines
Travel health consultations are provided by a Registered Nurse or Nurse Practitioner who offers travel assessment, counseling, and immunizations recommended by the CDC Travel Information guidelines. It is best to make an appointment at 610-328-8058 at least 4-6 weeks before travel. Some travel immunizations may require a referral to Penn Travel Health from Swarthmore College Travel Health. Penn Travel Health Clinic offers a discounted rate for Swarthmore students to be seen at their facility.
Travel Health Student Questionnaire [PDF] can be filled out in advance of your scheduled travel health consultation appointment.
Students who travel/study abroad may be required by their program of study or work to have a physical exam prior to travel or acceptance into their program. The SHWS provides for health exams, but these must be scheduled by appointment with the nurse practitioner or physician at least 1-2 weeks in advance.
Information regarding health considerations and health and travel insurance can be found in the off-campus Countdown To Departure Handbook [PDF].
Immunizations are available by appointment at 610-328-8058. Vaccines are paid for at the time of service and are offered "at cost" to all students. A receipt for the vaccine will be provided to the student at the time of service to submit to their insurance company for reimbursement. Many individual insurance carriers may not reimburse for travel vaccines. Please check with your individual insurance carrier regarding their travel vaccine reimbursement policy.
- Flu vaccines: available every Fall/Winter season.
- Hepatitis A [PDF]: series of 2 at 0 and 6 months ( recommended for travel to developing countries)
- IPV (Polio) [PDF]: Booster needed for travel to some countries, such as India, Pakistan, some African countries...
- Adacel ( Tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis or Tdap [PDF]): recommended as a single lifetime booster for adolescents and/or adults
- Typhim (Typhoid [PDF]) inactivated vaccine: protection lasts 2 years
- Gardasil (HPV) [PDF]: available per consultation (special order vaccine)
- Rabies [PDF]: series of 3 (special order vaccine)
- Japanese Encephalitis [PDF]: series of 2 (special order vaccine)
- Yellow Fever [PDF] (referred to Penn Travel Clinic)