Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need the college's health plan to use the Health Center?

No, it is not necessary to subscribe to the college health insurance plan to be seen by a provider at Student Health Services.   Medical Doctor, Nurse Practitioner and Registered Nurse visits at Student Health and Wellness Service are offered with no additional cost to students.

Some insurance plans do not cover services that a student may need or request while away at college.   It is the student's or parent's responsibility to contact their health insurance provider to find out how the coverage works while a student is attending Swarthmore.  If the student's health plan does not cover routine labs or screens through Quest Labs or Labcorp, the student should consider getting routine exams through their insurance plans approved provider. 

Will SHWS bill my private insurance for services?

Outside Laboratory studies will be billed through Quest Labs or Labcorp. The student college health plan covers 90% of most lab fees.  Students will be billed by the lab provider for the remaining cost and fees not covered by the insurance plan and are responsible for payment. Some health insurance plans will not cover lab fees out of their network or require pre-authorization for certain labs or referrals. It is the responsibility of the insured student to know their plan inclusions and limits.

In-house lab tests such as rapid strep test, pregnancy tests, mono-spots, etc. will incur a student health fee charge on their student account.  Medical services not rendered at SHWS are billed through those individual medical providers, such as for emergency room care, radiology, specialists, etc.  It is the responsibility of the insured student to contact their insurance provider for pre-certifications and/or referrals if needed.

My insurance information has not changed. Do I need to resubmit the information again?

Yes, it is necessary to submit new insurance enrollment information yearly as insurance plans are updated annually.

What should I do if I receive bills for healthcare costs (ambulance, hospital, medication, etc) and am unsure what to do or are unable to pay?

Please contact Mary Jane Palma at, medical administrative assistant/insurance coordinator or Alice Holland, director Student Health & Wellness at  Many times the Health & Wellness Center is able to assist you with resolving a billing concern.