Supervisor Tips and Tricks
- Accessing Timesheets and Pay periods
Timesheets are accessible to both supervisors and students via mySwarthmore. The student pay period schedule is located on the Student Payroll website. If you or your student have questions about Timesheets, contact Student Payroll for help.
- Change the Status of your Position and Stop Accepting Applications
When you are no longer actively hiring, be sure to move your positions from "listed" status to "review" status. By doing this, you will eliminate confusion, as students are looking for vacant positions throughout the semester. It will also give the Student Employment Office a more accurate sense of what departments that are still looking for students at any given time. Instructions on how to change the status of your position can be found on our Add, List, Edit, or Change the Status page. If you are unsure of what each status means
- Listed Mode contains jobs that are currently public and accepting applications. Students may be hired while the job is in this status.
- Pending Approval Mode contains jobs that are awaiting administrative approval after a change has been made and the position has been set to "Listed. Jobs in this status will not show as listed until they are approved. Students may not be hired while the job is in this status.
- Review Mode contains jobs that are not public or accepting onlineapplications. Only the department can see the position in this status. This status is used as a holding status for departmental review or hiring of applicants. Hiring managers can hire in this status and so this status is used to hold positions after being listed, or to "Direct Hire" students without accepting online applications.
- Changing the Number of Available Openings
This field, located near the bottom of the job description, must be equal to or greater than the number of students you intend to hire. This number controls the number of application slots and must also be greater than zero in order to list a position. Detailed instructions can be downloaded in PDF form.
- Contacting the Appropriate Office
Contact the Student Payroll Office for support with the following:
- Payroll paperwork submission
- Banner timesheet access
- Guidance about paying a student
Contact the Student Employment Office for support with the following:
- Advertising a job
- Questions about JobX
- Application or job description approval within JobX
- Deleting Old Applications
When listing a job for a new cycle, supervisors will want to delete old applications. Prior year applications will cause an error if you attempt to rehire a student. It is encouraged to download and save the applicant data prior to deleting it.
- Deleting positions cannot be undone so we encourage you to export your applicant pool data for record retention.
- Moving the position into the "Storage" status will delete all applicant data. (See changing the status instructions.) THIS CANNOT BE UNDONE.
- Individual applications may be deleted from the applicant listing.
- On the supervisor control panel, click on the number of applications for the job you wish to edit
- Select the individual applicants or use "select all"
- Use the drop down menu "Select Action Below" to select Delete
- Apply Action
- Number of Hours
Anywhere that hours are asked for in JobX, particularly when hiring specific students, be sure to be as accurate as possible. Students may work more or less than the hours stated on JobX, however information on hours is used when determining the number of available hours a department offers for student workers.
- Requesting a New Position (one that has does not currently exist in JobX)
- First, go to the JobX landing page . This screen is prior to logging in.
- Choose the right side link, "Student Employment Supervisor Home Page"
- Choose the right side link, "Create a New Student Position"
- Fill out the survey and submit
- Payroll and Finance will grade the position, create it in Banner, and then move it into JobX. You will receive a confirmation email with instructions once this process has been completed. This may take 1-2 weeks at different times of the year. Questions should be directed to Sue Watts in Payroll.
Items to keep in mind:
- Job titles must be 25 or fewer characters
- Job titles should not be too similar to existing positions. This can confuse the time sheet submitter and the approver.
- Including a class number or professor name may be helpful but titles cannot be changed so think long term about your department's structure.
- General titles like manager or administrator are vague and may not be helpful for students looking for specific job opportunities.
- Search Students Option (Search for a Student's Full Name, Status, or ID)
While on your Supervisor control panel, select the "JobX" tab and choose "Search Students." This can be used while using the Direct Hire function if you need to verify the student's work-aid status, or if they have completed their paperwork. A "No" next to Student Status, I9, or Direct Deposit will always result in the failure of a hire attempt. You may also print instructions. [PDF]
- Scheduling an Interview
JobX does not currently support interview scheduling. You have a few options available if you will be asking students to schedule an interview time.
- You may include a link in one of the application questions that takes the student to a scheduling process or form
- You may utilized the contact features to email students once they have applied. The emailed information can provide instruction on how the student should proceed.
When creating or editing a job description, please pay special attention to the question asking about the time frame for which you are posting the position.
This field, located near the bottom of the job description, controls the time at which students will see timesheets. It officially begins and ends a student's ability to be employed in your department. This selection is also a criteria that students may use to filter job results during their job search.
- Fall Timeframe is used for student hiring beginning in August and ending in December.
- Spring Timeframe is used for student hiring beginning in January and ending in May.
- Academic Year Timeframe can only be used in the Fall semester. It should be used for student hiring carrying over the winter break into the Spring semester.
- Summer Timeframe is used for student hiring beginning in May and ending in August.
To change the Timeframe:
- Click on the title of the job you wish to change
- Click "edit this job"
- Scroll to the bottom, near the contact information.
- Select the correct time period from the drop down box.
- Submit the job description
Students hired for the Fall Semester Timeframe will need to be rehired if working in the same position for the Spring Semester.
Students hired for the Spring Semester Timeframe will need to be rehired if working in the same position for the Summer.
Students remaining in positions will need to be rehired each year. Hires will not carry over from one academic year to the next. Direct hiring can be used to rehire a student in a subsequent year. Download detailed instructions in PDF form.