Skip to main content

International Travel Registry and Insurance

For safety and insurance purposes, all College-funded international travel must adhere to the policies of the International Travel Risk Management Committee (ITRMC). All international travelers are required to complete an international travel registration detailing the location(s), purpose, funding, and all attendees for the trip.​​​​​​

International Travel Registry | State Department Travel Advisory | Travel Insurance and Emergency Assistance | Travel Agents

International Travel Registry

Faculty and staff members are responsible for completing the international travel registry prior to completing their travel arrangements. This information is used for emergency preparedness and for providing assistance in the event of a health or other emergency while the traveler is abroad. The applicant will be required to provide dates of travel, contact information, complete an insurance form, and provide passport information. 

Upon completion of the registry, no further approvals are required for academic or scholarly research unless travel is to a country with level 3 or 4 travel advisories from the State Department, in which case travel must be approved by the International Travel Risk Management Committee, as detailed below.

Access the registry 

State Department Travel Advisory

The traveler is also required to review the State Department travel advisories for the country or countries to be visited and to provide the level of the travel advisory (Level 1, 2, 3, or 4) as part of their completed registration. State Department travel advisories are a rating system issued for all countries in the world. Travel advisories provide important security and safety information to describe risks and preventative actions to take to help ensure safety for travelers. 

  • Level 1: Exercise Normal Precautions
  • Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution
  • Level 3: Reconsider Travel
  • Level 4: Do Not Travel

In the case of travel to a country which is rated by the State Department as either Level 3 or Level 4, further review of the application must take place by the International Travel Risk Management Committee (ITRMC). Travel arrangements should not be booked for Level 3 or Level 4 countries unless the application has received approval by the ITRMC. 

For any questions or assistance when completing the registry, please email  

Travel Insurance and Emergency Assistance 

Faculty and staff traveling on international College-affiliated trips are enrolled as members of International SOS (ISOS), which includes travel medical insurance. Please note, this service is provided for international trips only.

You must register your international travel in the Swarthmore College Travel Registry to be eligible for these services. 

International SOS is the primary point of contact for any emergency that occurs while on College-related or College-funded travel, which may include medical emergencies or evacuations. Participation is for faculty and staff only. It does not cover dependents or other family members. International SOS provides for emergency medical situations and is secondary to an individual’s health insurance plan coverage. 

Click on the College Travel Registry Link (it will open in a new window) to register your trip. You will be prompted for an itinerary (location and dates of travel), emergency contact and passport information. You will be enrolled in International SOS by GEO. Please contact should you have any questions.

Enrolled participants can also benefit from free pre-trip information services provided by International SOS. Pre-travel guidance may include information about vaccinations, traveling with required medications, and/or general security concerns. Contact the International SOS assistance center by calling 1-215-942-8478.  Identify your association with Swarthmore College to access these options.

Travel Agents

The use of a travel agent is not required when traveling on College business. However, assistance from an agent is suggested for complex and/or international travel to ensure comfort, convenience, and value. If you are using a travel agent, arrangements may only be made through the College’s contracted travel agents, unless you have received prior consent by the Director of Procurement. College-approved travel agents have been able to negotiate ticket changes, particularly for groups of Swarthmore community members, more effectively than individuals, and working with a contracted agent often allows for more flexible cancelations than can be found elsewhere.

The College's contracted travel agents are:

  • Avenue Two Corporate: Avenue Two is a long-time partner for the College and offers a option for booking airfare for travelers who do not have College PCards. Call 215-243-1120 for assistance. 
  • Key Travel: Key Travel specializes in international travel. You may make reservations by phone by calling 646-218-2100, emailing or use their on-line booking tool.