Frequently Asked Questions
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any feedback or concerns. Both positive feedback and constructive criticism are most welcome!
- Who can access the Online Community?
The Online Community can be accessed by alumni, current students, active staff, and active faculty. Friends of the College, including parents & families of students, are welcome to create an account and are able to update contact information and set mailing and event preferences.
- How do I access the Online Community?
- What happens if I forget my password?
Once you create and verify your profile via an active email account, you will be able to reset your own password. Click "Forgot Password" on the login page and a password reset link will be emailed to you.
- Will the Online Community update my permanent record with the College?
Yes. Any changes that you make to your personal record in the Alumni Online Community are automatically sent to the Records Office. Those changes will then be made in the College's database. For changes to your name or other record updates that you cannot make in the Community, please email Records at email@example.com or call 610-328-8408.
- Can I change my name in the Online Community?
Currently, you cannot change your name through the Online Community. To update the College on a legal or chosen name change, please email Records at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 610-328-8408.
- What if I requested my information stay private in one of the old Online Communities?
We will continue to honor all requests to suppress entire profiles or specific information. If you opted out of one of the previous Alumni Online Community tools, we have already opted you out of this new Alumni Online Community. The new Alumni Online Community gives you many options to hide all or some of your information. If you are concerned, we suggest creating a profile and reviewing your privacy settings. You can opt out of the Alumni Online Community entirely or hide specific pieces of information.
- Can I select which information I would like to remain private?
Yes. Anything in your profile can be hidden or revealed. Once you create a profile and update your information you will be able to review your privacy settings. Hiding or showing information is as easy as checking a box.
- What are your default privacy settings?
If you asked the College to hide your information in the past, we have respected that wish in the new Online Community. We will never display your home or work street address.
By default, the following information is suppressed unless you create an account and opt in to share these pieces of info:
- Home city, state, and nation
By default, we do show the following pieces of information, which you can opt out of after creating an account and updating your privacy settings:
- Your name and class year
- Swarthmore major
- Degrees earned from any institution
- Employer name, job title, city, state, and nation
The Online Community will never show your email address, but students, faculty, staff and other alumni may contact you through the community. Messages will be sent to the email address on file without revealing your email to the sender. The sender will only see your email address if you respond to their message.
- How can I connect with alumni in a particular affinity group?
If you are a Lang Scholar or a McCabe Scholar, we have prepopulated that information in your profile. You can opt in to receive communications from the LGBTQ+ Alumni Network and the Swarthmore Black Alumni Network (SBAN). You can request to receive information on events and other topics from these groups, while at the same time hiding these affinities within the Online Community. View a list of class, affinity, and location-based discussion groups and social media pages.
- How can I get better results when I search the Alumni Online Community?
After clicking on the Directory, click the blue “Add Search Criteria” button. There are over 20 different criteria available to narrow your search. We suggest being as specific as possible, as searching the Directory only returns the top 200 results. Here are some additional tips:
- Search for a range of class years by using a dash (–) between two distinct years, shown here: 1990–1993.
- Use a Best Match Search when you have several filters in your search and you would like results that meet all and some of the filters. For example a Best Match Search with filters Job Title = teacher and Career Category = teacher, will return results that match job title and career category first and additionally list results that only match one of the filters.
- An Exact Match search using multiple filters only returns results that match all your filters. An Exact Match search will match on the exact characters even if they are a partial of a name or word. An Exact Match search of Name = Jon will return results with Jon, Jonathan and Jones.
Please note that friends of the College, including parents and families of students, cannot search the Directory and do not appear in search results. Students, faculty, and staff members may search the Directory but do not appear in search results.
- Does this switch affect my lifelong email forwarding?
Yes, any @alum.swarthmore.edu email address will need to be re-registered in this new Alumni Online Community. You can do this once you've verified your profile.
The process to either re-register or set up a new @alum.swarthmore.edu email address is the same. Log into the Alumni Online Community and click the "Home" link on the top right of the page. Under your name in blue on the right will be "Update my profile" and "Email Forwarding" with an email icon. As a reminder, your @alum.swarthmore.edu address is not an actual inbox but rather a forwarding system. Replying to mail sent to your email@example.com will come from your real email account.
- Once I re-enroll in email forwarding, do I need to do anything else?
If you have kept the same email alias as before, you will not have to do anything else. Once you have re-enrolled and confirmed your email address, all emails sent to your @alum.swarthmore.edu address will be sent directly to you.