Lang Center
for Civic & Social Responsibility

Summer Opportunities

Students can apply for three types of opportunities through the Lang Center: social impact scholarships, social action projects, and faculty-sponsored engaged research. All applicants are required to have an advising session before they apply. For internships, students can meet with any Lang Center Associate or Lang Center staff member; project applicants should meet with Jennifer Magee, and engaged research applicants should meet with their faculty sponsor. For a complete overview of the summer grant process, please refer to the Lang Center Summer Grantee Handbook [SwatDoc]. For answers to frequently asked questions, please refer to Summer Funding Opportunities FAQs [SwatDoc]

Summer opportunities like Social Impact Scholarships, Engaged Research experiences, and Social Action Projects can be a crucial bridge between your academic pursuits and the people and issues you care about. The Lang Center staff is here to help you build such bridges! There are many examples: Check out a digital list of past Swarthmore Foundation pilot projects and search our Social Impact Organizations Database [SwatSheet], which includes a selection of organizations at which students have successfully completed Lang Center-funded placements. These summer opportunities are funded by Swarthmore Foundation and a myriad of named awards [SwatDoc].

The Engaged Scholarship section of our website provides a snapshot of community-engaged research or public scholarship by faculty and students. All grantees of the Lang Center write reports and reflections on their summer experiences. 

Attn: Summer Social Impact Scholarship, Faculty-Led Engaged Research, and Project Grantees

Please note that students who are United States citizens, Resident Aliens or have current DACA status will not have taxes withheld from the payment (nor will it be reported to the IRS); however, the IRS considers this payment income to the recipient. When filing your tax return, you must report the amount of this payment as income. If you file a FAFSA for financial aid, the payment must also be included as part of your gross income.

The regulations regarding federal tax withholding and reporting are different for international students who are classified as non-resident aliens for income tax purposes. This income will be reported to the IRS as income to the recipient. As a result, if you are not a United States citizen, you will need to contact Joseph Cataldi in the Business Office ( to learn how you will be affected. Be advised that your funds will not be released until this step has been completed.

Social Impact Summer Scholarships

Social Impact Summer Scholarships (SISS) support students pursuing unpaid positions with host organizations that empower them to add dimension to their undergraduate course work while advancing the organization's mission, goals, and objectives. All applicants are required to have a summer funding advising session with a Lang Center Associate or Lang Center staff member before submitting an application through the Lang Center Common App.

You can schedule an appointment with a Lang Center Associate here by reaching out directly to one of our LCAs.

Current Swarthmore students are invited to utilize our Social Impact Organizations Map (below) to research potential host organizations and are encouraged to use our Internship Search Tracking Sheet [SwatSheet] to keep track of possible placements. Please note that these organizations operate independently of Swarthmore College and their appearance on this map is not an official endorsement of the organization. 


Pilot Projects

Pilot Project grants support students who design or co-create a project with its own mission, goals, and objectives. Such projects could include feasibility study, assessment of community assets, interests, and needs, and so on. For more information about Pilot Project Grants, contact Jennifer Magee.

For more information about how to develop your own Pilot Project, check out our Project Development Handout [PDF].

Faculty-Sponsored Engaged Research

Faculty-Sponsored Engaged Research supports students, selected by a Swarthmore College faculty member, to conduct engaged research in the service of a faculty member's engaged scholarship. Students interested in pursuing Faculty-Sponsored Engaged Research should reach out directly to the faculty member with whom they would like to work and receive confirmation of their acceptance before submitting their application.

Click here to learn more about funding for Faculty-Sponsored Engaged Research.

Click here to learn more about Engaged Scholarship.