Lang Center
for Civic & Social Responsibility

Resources for Students

Before engaging in volunteerism, community-based learning, or other forms of Engaged Scholarship, consider the Department of Labor’s Seven Criteria Test and guidance provided by the Department of Homeland Security.

If you believe you need accommodations for a disability or a chronic medical condition, please contact Student Disability Services via e-mail ( to arrange an appointment to discuss your needs. As appropriate, the Office will issue students with documented disabilities or chronic medical conditions a formal Accommodations Letter. Students should then meet with their supervisors to discuss their specific needs and how their accommodations will be implemented during their work experience. Since accommodations require early planning and are not retroactive, please contact Student Disability Services as soon as possible. Please visit the Student Disability Services website for details about the accommodations process and Documentation Guidelines.