Pathways to Teaching & Graduate Study in Education
Swarthmore students come to an interest in teaching at many points during their own educational careers - some before they enter college, others during their four undergraduate years, and some as they investigate possible careers after Swarthmore. Students are encouraged to explore the many opportunities available to them in the field of education.
As a first step, the department recommends that students enroll in EDUC 014. Pedagogy and Power: An Introduction to Education, which examines a broad range of topics in the field of education through readings and fieldwork. Introduction to Education is offered each semester.
Faculty in the department are happy to work with students to find the program that is most appropriate for their immediate and long-term goals in education.
- Teacher certification at Swarthmore
- Teacher Residencies:
- Graduate study: Teacher certification
- Teacher certification opportunities for DACA and undocumented students
Graduate study in Educational Studies: Resources
Funding and support post-Swarthmore:
- Graduate School Resources for DACA and Undocumented Students
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers
- Noyce Teacher Scholarship Program (STEM)
- Philadelphia Regional Noyce Scholarship Program at BMC (STEM)
- STEM Teacher Graduate Scholarships AFCEA International
- TEACH Grants Federal Student Aid
- Teacher Loan Forgiveness Federal Student Aid
- Scholarships for Teachers - Certification Map
- Teacher Scholarship - National Institute for Labor Relations Research
- Scholarship Overview PDK International
- NAACP Scholarships, Awards, and Internships
- 2021-2022 Nancy Larson Foundation College Scholarship - The Nancy Larson Foundation
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- Florida Scholarships:
FTCEtest.org has created several new scholarships for future Florida teachers. These include:
FTCEtest.org Scholarship for Future Teachers
FTCETest.org Scholarship for Underrepresented Teachers in Florida
FTCEtest.org Scholarship for Math & Science Teachers
Jobs in Education - Career Services Resources (with or without certification)
If you are looking to teach in Pennsylvania, the PDE Certification website maintains an interactive webpage called Career Opportunities for educators to search by county and locate contact information for individual educational entities. The purpose of this resource is to aid future educators in their search for vacancies in Pennsylvania schools.