Pathways to Teaching
Swarthmore students come to an interest in teaching at many points during their own educational careers - some before they enter college, others during their four undergraduate years, and some as they investigate possible careers after Swarthmore. Students are encouraged to explore the many opportunities available to them in the field of education.
- Mentoring and tutoring opportunities offered through Swarthmore.
- Internships listed with Career Services.
- Teacher certification available through Swarthmore.
- Graduate study in education,including teaching programs and other programs in Educational Studies.
- Post graduation teaching/education job opportunities and resources for all students, with or without certification.
- TeachPHL: postings that provide aspiring and current teachers, school administrators, and support staff in Philly schools of all types with information and resources.
- If you are looking to teach in Pennsylvania, the PDE Certification website maintains an interactive webpage called Career Opportunities for educators to search by county and locate contact information for individual educational entities. The purpose of this resource is to aid future educators in their search for vacancies in Pennsylvania schools.
- Scholarships through TeachPHL - a list of national scholarships available for students interested in teaching.
As a first step, the department recommends that students enroll in EDUC 014. Pedagogy and Power: An Introduction to Education, which examines a broad range of topics in the field of education through readings and fieldwork. Introduction to Education is offered each semester.
Faculty in the department are happy to work with students to find the program that is most appropriate for their immediate and long-term goals in education.