What goes where? We've got the answers!
We're compiling a comprehensive guide to waste disposal on campus. Hit CTRL+F (on a PC) or ⌘F (on a Mac) to search below for an item of interest. Don't see a particular item? Suggest it to us! As we said, we want this list to be comprehensive. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bread, Cereal, Coffee filters, Coffee grounds, Compostable paper cups, Compostable plastic cups, Compostable plastic lids, Cookies, Corks, Crackers, Cupcake papers, Dairy waste (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Delivery pizza boxes, Egg shells, Food cooked in oil (no meat), Fruits (all parts), Grass clippings, Hay, Leaves, Paper bags, Paper plates, Paper towels, Pasta, Plants, Shredded paper, Straw, Tea bags (remove staples), Tissues, Vegetables (all parts), Wood stirrers
Aluminum foil*, Cardboard boxes (flattened), File folders, Food cartons*, Food tins*, Magazines, Mail, Newspapers, Notebooks, Plastics #1-2,4-5,7**, Plastic bottles*, Plastic food containers*, Plastic lids*, Printer paper, Soda cans* (uncrushed), Unbroken glass bottles* (plastic caps recycled separately), Unbroken glass jars*
Broken glass (bag for safety), Chip bags, Frozen food boxes, Mint wrappers, Peanut products (peanut butter, etc.)**, Plastics #3,6**, Plastic utensils, Snack bar wrappers, Straws**, Styrofoam, Tree nuts**, Unnumbered plastic
*Rinsed of food/liquid
**This rule may be particular to Swarthmore College
Batteries, Clothing, Electronics, Furniture, Ink cartridges, Large branches, Light bulbs, Plastic bags (bread, grocery), Refrigerators
- Batteries - Deposit in collection at Shane Lounge (Parrish)
- Wearable - Save for a GA-led clothing swap during the semester; Donate to Trash2Treasure at the end of the school year; Bring to Goodwill; Sell to a resale/consignment shop (e.g., Buffalo Exchange in Philadelphia)
- Unwearable/ripped - Donate to a Goodwill that collects clothing scraps (NOTE: The Goodwill near campus does NOT accept unwearable clothing, nor does T2T. Bring to the Goodwill in Marcus Hook for proper recycling or call ahead to another Goodwill to see if they'll take it); Donate ripped jeans through certain clothing retailers with the Blue Jeans Go Green initiative.
- Electronics - E-Waste Recycling (behind the Swarthmore Co-op in a blue trailer); Target (for small electronics)
- Ink Cartridges - Deposit in collection at Shane Lounge (Parrish)
- Light bulbs - Bring to the nearest Home Depot, Lowe's, or Ikea.
- Plastic Bags - GA collection bags in residential halls; Target