What To Pack
Fall 2020 Packing Information
Due to the many unknowns about the Fall semester and the extended winter break period, we are encouraging all students to pack lightly during the Fall 2020 term. Students should plan to bring NO MORE THAN 2-3 boxes, plastic tubs or pieces of luggage. Given the many unknowns of the Fall semester and due to the requirement that ALL students take all of their belongings home during the winter break, so please plan on bringing only essential items. Please remember that you also may wish to arrive, get settled, and then order any items that you need.
The College provides:
- Furniture: bed, desk, chair, dresser
- Free laundry facilities (reservations required Fall 2020, as part of the College's on-going response to COVID-19)
You can find many items you might need in your room at the campus store. These items can be pre-purchased and will be available for pick up when you arrive on campus. They carry items that have proven to be Swarthmore College student favorites, at competitive prices. Open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday. Examples include sheet sets (white only), fans, shower caddies, small reading lamps, metal trash cans, and lots of other useful items for your dorm room! All items are available for purchase at Swarthmore.OCM.com, and can be shipped directly to campus for pick up upon arrival.
What you will need:
- Bedding - twin x-long (36x80x9), mattress covers*, sheets*, thick/heavy blankets*, bedspreads*, pillow*. Bedding to fit Swarthmore beds is available for purchase at Swarthmore.OCM.com.
- Clothes hangers*
- Desk lamps with an extra light bulb or two* (halogen lamps are not allowed)
- Metal waste basket* (metal required for fire safety)
- Towels and washcloths*
- If you plan to have a student job on campus at any point in your Swarthmore career, then you must bring the required documents for student employment. Please be sure to note the requirements for original documents.
Nice things to have:
- Computer, with cables* and accessories*
- Ear plugs
- Underwriter's Laboratory (UL) approved extension cord/outlet strip with circuit breaker* Note: Rooms often have limited outlets. For safety reasons, all electrical items must be UL approved and be limited to the electric capacity of the room.
* Indicates items available for purchase in the Campus Store.
Health Services recommendations:
In the fall of 2020 all students will be provided with a PPE kit that includes a reusable face mask, hand sanitizer, and thermometer.
- Antibiotic ointment
- Band Aids
- Contact lens solution / glasses
- Copy of health insurance card
- Cough drops
- Furniture, including futons, extra chairs, personal mattresses, couches, etc.
- Air conditioners
- Space heaters
- Cooking appliances (toasters, toaster ovens, microwaves, ForemanTM-style grills, hot plates, and anything with an open heat element), candles, halogen lamps, incense and other fire hazards
- Microwaves, unless reserved using the College's MicroFridge program
Pets of any kind
- We do not encourage students to bring televisions; the residence hall rooms do not have access to cable
Wireless routers (they can interfere with the wireless network)
Please note: the College does not provide landline phone service or voicemail in the residence halls. All students should register their cell phone numbers with the College's Emergency Response System.
"MOVE-IN day just got MUCH EASIER"
we are partnering with MyMicroFridge to offer dorm fridge rentals and delivery to students living in campus housing. Please note that you must contact the company directly to rent a fridge, and they will coordinate delivery straight to your dorm room.
If you do not yet know where you will be living, you can still reserve a unit. For more information, please visit MyMicroFridge.
Swarthmore College works closely with Ultimate College Storage, a premier student storage option through the UPS Store to assist students with all of their storage needs. They also assist with shipping and holding items. Please visit Ultimate College Storage or call (484) 222-6102 for more information.
Sustainability is an important value to the Swarthmore community; please be mindful to not bring too many items. Please visit the Sustainability website to learn more about Swarthmore's commitment to sustainability.