Skip to main content

Course Reserves + Textbooks

Course Reserves

Course Reserves are library materials required by professors for your classes and set aside by the libraries in order to provide fair and equitable use by all class members. While the libraries aim to provide access to all required class materials, it is not possible to provide online access to some textbooks.

The libraries will not have a circulating collection of print textbooks on reserve for the fall 2020 semester. We are working with faculty and the campus store to provide as much online access to General and Honors Reserves materials as possible.

Check the Fall 2020 Digital Reserves List to see if we can provide access to your course materials. Note that this list is still in progress and that updates will continue over the next couple of weeks. Use CTRL F to search for your course or book as they are not in alphabetical order at this time.

A note about Textbooks...

Library staff continuously explore approaches to how we might acquire course textbooks to make sure that students have access, even in a hybrid, distance learning environment.

This work is complicated by textbook publishers who do not provide electronic purchasing options for libraries. Many existing course textbooks are simply unavailable to any library, anywhere, regardless of budget, in formats other than print.

If your course requires you to have access to one of these publisher's ebooks, you'll need to consider purchasing or renting a copy for yourself. (The big textbook publishers are Pearson Education, Scholastic, McGraw-Hill Education, Cengage Learning, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, among others.)

To make the most informed use of your TAP funds through the College Store, follow these steps:

  • Use the Bookstore search tool and course syllabi to find out what your professors require
  • Check the Fall 2020 Digital Reserves List to see if the Libraries can provide access to what you need
  • Use the results of your searches to make the best use of your TAP funds for purchasing or renting textbooks from the Bookstore