Skip to main content

W4 Form

New Student Employees

All student employees will be defaulted into a W4 withholding status.  After you are hired for the first time at Swarthmore College, you will be able to update and change your IRS W-4 Form (Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate) electronically via your mySwarthmore portal.

Note: You will not be able to complete or update this document until you are entered into our Human Resource system as an employee.  This means that you will need a campus job before this occurs.  When your employment record has been created, you will receive an e-mail notifying you that you should complete your W-4. Once you receive that e-mail, follow these steps:

1.Log into mySwarthmore using your network credentials.

2.Select the link for Employee Main Menu

3.Select the link for Tax Forms

4.Select the link for W-4 Tax Exemptions/Allowance

Returning Student Employees

A returning student employee is anyone who has previously held a campus job and was paid through the College. As a former employee your W-4 form from your previous College employment will be available for review. You are advised to follow the instructions above to log into mySwarthmore and verify the current information on your W-4 form and to make any updates as desired. If the information is correct, you do not need to take any action. As a returning employee, please note that you will not receive any notification to verify your information.

All Student Employees

Additional more detailed instructions for completing your W-4 in mySwarthmore are found on the Payroll Office W4 information page.

Official Federal instructions for completing your W-4 from the IRS website.

International Student Employees

International Student Employees will complete required hiring paperwork during their orientation.  If you are a current student and you have not completed your paperwork or have questions, contact the Student Payroll Office.