What is "Broader Impacts"?
Broader Impacts is one of two review criteria used by the National Science Foundation (NSF) in its merit review process (the other is intellectual merit). Broader impacts are the societal impact of the proposal and “may be accomplished through the research itself, through the activities that are directly related to specific research projects, or through activities that are supported by, but are complementary to the project (NSF, 2020 PAPPG pp 44).” This concept can be extended to proposals beyond NSF and may be known by other terms such as “research impact”.
- Merit Review Criteria Video: Broader Impacts
- Broader Impacts: Improving Society
- Guiding Principles 2.0
- Broader Impacts Project Evaluation
- Broader Impacts Wizard
- Advancing Research Impact in Society (ARIS)
- ARIS Events
- Unveiling Impact Identities: A Path for Connecting Science and Society (Risien & Storksdieck, 2018)
- Broader Impacts Webinar for Swarthmore (recording and slides)
- Lang Center for Civic & Social Responsibility