Arts in Action
Arts in Action brings together artists, students, faculty, and staff to engage with the arts for building community and to explore creative and transformative possibilities at the individual and community level. Through collaborative, cross-cultural immersion, our projects build access to the arts for underserved communities, creating awareness, networks, and advocacy. The central goal is to broaden the meaning of the arts and create a space for it in diverse contexts as teachers, students, and activists. This initiative is directed by Associate Professor of Dance Pallabi Chakravorty.
- Connect with List Gallery
- Courtyard Dancers
- Project: Friends, Peace, and Sanctuary, supported by The Pew Center for Arts & Heritage. Contact: Katie Price.
Relevant Courses at Swarthmore:
- ARTH 046. Socially Engaged Art in the Americas (Checa-Gismero)
- ARTH 078 - Museum Matters: Practice, Theory, Controversy (Downey)
- DANC 004 - Arts in Action (Chakravorty)
- DANC 025A - Dance and Diaspora (Chakravorty)
- ENGL 006 - In/Visible: Asian American Cultural Critique (Mani)
- ENGL 009J - FYS: Revolution and Revolt (Cohen)
- ENGL 070L - Creative Writing Outreach (Browne)
- ENGL 070R - River Stories (Bolton)
- ENGL 089B/ENVS 016 - Environmentally Engaged Literature (Price)
- ENVS 042 - Ecofeminism(s) (Di Chiro)
- SPAN 076 - Narrativas latinoamericanas: identidad y conflicto cultural (Martínez)
- SPAN 012 - Imágenes y contextos hispánicos (Buiza)
- Art Became the Oxygen: A Guide to Artistic Response
- Humanities for All
- Imagining America publications
- Publishing and the Publicly Engaged Humanities
- Volunteer or intern at a local arts organization.