Swarthmore Alumni of Color
Founded in 2018, we — the Alumni of Color (AOC) Steering Committee — focus on building community among alumni, supporting College priorities through fundraising initiatives and volunteer efforts, and building connections with students across campus through career development, mentorship, Intercultural Center (IC) groups, and personal support.
This year, we’ve focused on the following projects:
- engaging with alumni, friends, and allies through newsletters and volunteer opportunities
- connecting with students via career networking opportunities, IC student meetings, and exploring mentorship options
- increasing our presence at Alumni Weekend and Garnet Weekend
- promoting Admissions's efforts in recruitment and yield for future generations of Swarthmore students
- directly supporting students through The Swarthmore Fund
The mission of Swarthmore College Alumni of Color (AOC) is to support and engage the diverse, multicultural, and vibrant community of Swarthmore College who self-identify as students and alumni of color, members of an underrepresented or minority racial or ethnic group, or who represent a variety of national origins and nationalities.
To achieve this mission, AOC will:
strengthen existing (and create new) connections between alumni of color and students of color by working to develop an inclusive, welcoming, and purposive interactive network between alumni and current students.
identify, nurture, and expand the myriad ways in which alumni of color contribute and give back to the College and the College community, and enlist additional alumni as volunteers through outreach and leadership development.
engage alumni and students in programming and a variety of endeavors that seek to uplift students and alumni — and, in so doing, the broader College community — through volunteerism, mentoring, and professional development, with an active commitment to promoting greater diversity, inclusion, and equity.
WANT TO GET INVOLVED?
If you have 5 minutes:
- Make sure you sign up for our newsletter in the "Say Hello" Google form.
- Update your profile in the Alumni Online Community, and identify as a member of the network by adding AOC to your Groups. Also, be sure to list your favorite activities, mentoring interests, and career information.
- Nominate yourself or a friend for our spotlight AOC feature using this nomination Google form.
- Make a gift to support the Student Emergency Fund.
If you have an afternoon:
- Use the "Say Hello" Google form to let us know you're interested in connecting with students and if you have an idea for a roundtable or virtual Q&A.
- Serve as an Admissions interviewer for first-year or transfer students in the fall, or host an informational interview for accepted students in the spring.
- Host an event, such as a happy hour, museum tour, or reception in your town (once we're doing in-person events again), or a virtual meet up! You pick the place and time, and we'll help invite local alumni.
- Help with move-in! AOC volunteers are hoping to partner with the First-Gen & Low-Income Program to organize airport pickups for incoming first-years who travel without family — many are first-in-family or low-income students.
If you have 1-2 hours a month:
- Mentor a student. Use your profile in the Alumni Online Community to share your willingness to mentor via fields of expertise, academic interests, career, extracurricular activities, and identity/affinity groups.
- Consider joining the AOC Steering Committee, where volunteers:
- Lead a priority project in one of three committees (Alumni, College, or Student Support)
- Make a personally meaningful gift to The Swarthmore Fund
- Attend monthly video committee meetings