The Off-Campus Study Office serves the campus community in different areas:
- Off-campus study opportunities for students:
Off-Campus Study Program
Short-Term Study Abroad
- Risk Management
- Global Engagement
- Credit support for students requesting credit for work done elsewhere (transfer credits)
Off-Campus Study Committee
The Off-Campus Study Committee is a standing committee of the Faculty, and is co-chaired by the Director for Off-Campus Study and the Faculty Advisor for Off-Campus Study. The Associate Director for Off-Campus Study serves as an ex-officio member. The committee is charged with advising the Off-Campus Study Office regarding changes in policy and practice; participating in regular reviews of Swarthmore College study abroad programs; reviewing approved and proposed study abroad programs; reviewing student petitions to attend non-approved programs; and in general overseeing the educational quality of all supported programs while contributing to the effort to remove unnecessary institutional barriers to participation.
Campus internationalization means connecting Swarthmore students’ on-campus studies and experiences to larger global contexts. These connections are made through intentional inclusion of international perspectives across the spectrum of Swarthmore educational and co-curricular activities. On-campus opportunities (academic and co-curricular) are complemented by students’ off-campus experiences through local community service, internships, and study abroad.
OCS supports internationalization through the following activities:
- OCS encourages departments to integrate multiple cultural perspectives into Swarthmore education abroad program curricula.
- OCS works with departments to align courses taken abroad with department academic policies and goals.
- OCS facilitates internships, service learning, and community engagement opportunities - especially those activities that have international components.
- OCS provides opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to share expertise gained through international experiences in all fields of study.
- OCS meets with international visitors to other departments on campus, and hosts representatives from affiliated education abroad programs.