The Off-Campus Study Office serves the campus community in different areas:
- Off-campus study opportunities for students:
Off-Campus Study Program
Short-Term Study Abroad
- Risk Management
- Global Engagement
Off-Campus Study Committee
The Off-Campus Study Committee is a standing committee of the Faculty, charged with advising the Off-Campus Study Office regarding changes in policy and practice; participating in regular reviews of Swarthmore College study abroad programs; reviewing approved and proposed study abroad programs; reviewing student petitions to attend non-approved programs; and in general overseeing the educational quality of all supported programs while contributing to the effort to remove unnecessary institutional barriers to participation.
Members of the OCS Committee, Academic Year 2021-2022
- Casey Anderson. Director of Student Health & Wellness.
- Cacey Bester. Assistant Professor of Physics.
- Jason Box. Head Men's Tennis Coach.
- Lotte Buiting. OCS Associate Director.
- Nanci Buiza. Associate Professor of Spanish.
- Varo Duffins. Director of Financial Aid.
- María Luisa Guardiola, co-chair. OCS Faculty Advisor & Professor of Spanish.
- Pat Martin, co-chair. OCS Director.
- Benjamin Ridgway. Assistant Professor of Chinese.
- Tomoko Sakomura. Dean of Students & Professor of Art History.
- Kristen Smith. Registrar.
- Shikha Shrestha. Student, Class of 2024
- Benjamin Zinszer. Visiting Assistant Professor of Psychology.
Campus internationalization means connecting Swarthmore students’ on-campus studies and experiences to larger global contexts. These connections are made through intentional inclusion of international perspectives across the spectrum of Swarthmore educational and co-curricular activities. On-campus opportunities (academic and co-curricular) are complemented by students’ off-campus experiences through local community service, internships, and study abroad.
OCS supports internationalization through the following activities:
- OCS encourages departments to integrate multiple cultural perspectives into Swarthmore education abroad program curricula.
- OCS works with departments to align courses taken abroad with department academic policies and goals.
- OCS facilitates internships, service learning, and community engagement opportunities - especially those activities that have international components.
- OCS provides opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to share expertise gained through international experiences in all fields of study.
- OCS meets with international visitors to other departments on campus, and hosts representatives from affiliated education abroad programs.