Global Engagement Purview
The Global Engagement Office serves the campus community in different areas:
- Off-campus study opportunities for students:
Off-Campus Study Program
Short-Term Study Abroad
- Risk Management
- Global Engagement
Global Engagement Committee
The Global Engagement Committee is a standing committee of the Faculty, charged with advising the Global Engagement Office regarding changes in policy and practice; participating in regular reviews of Swarthmore College study abroad programs; reviewing approved and proposed study abroad programs; reviewing student petitions to attend non-approved programs; and in general overseeing the educational quality of all supported programs while contributing to the effort to remove unnecessary institutional barriers to participation.
Members of the Global Engagement Committee, Academic Year 2022-2023
- Jason Box. Head Men's Tennis Coach.
- Nanci Buiza. Associate Professor of Spanish.
- Varo Duffins. Director of Financial Aid.
- Karen Henry. Dean of First-Year Students.
- Tiffany Lee. Visiting Assistant Professor of Art History.
- Lauren Owens. Director of Operations, Office of Global Engagement
- Benjamin Ridgway. Assistant Professor of Chinese.
- Kristen Smith. Registrar.
- Carina Yervasi. Executive Director, Office of Global Engagement
- Benjamin Zinszer. Visiting Assistant Professor of Psychology.
Campus internationalization means connecting Swarthmore students’ on-campus studies and experiences to larger global contexts. These connections are made through intentional inclusion of international perspectives across the spectrum of Swarthmore educational and co-curricular activities. On-campus opportunities (academic and co-curricular) are complemented by students’ off-campus experiences through local community service, internships, and study abroad.
Global Engagement supports internationalization through the following activities:
- Global Engagement encourages departments to integrate multiple cultural perspectives into Swarthmore education abroad program curricula.
- Global Engagement works with departments to align courses taken abroad with department academic policies and goals.
- Global Engagement facilitates internships, service learning, and community engagement opportunities - especially those activities that have international components.
- Global Engagement provides opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to share expertise gained through international experiences in all fields of study.
- Global Engagement meets with international visitors to other departments on campus, and hosts representatives from affiliated education abroad programs.