Your Swarthmore email account and new student forms
This message was sent by Director of Student Activities and Leadership, Rebecca Weintraub-Barth on May 16, 2023
Welcome to Swarthmore! In partnership with my colleagues across campus, I coordinate new student orientation. We look forward to meeting you in August.
I write to share instructions on how to access your new Swarthmore email account and complete the new student forms in mySwarthmore.
Please follow the instructions under the “TO DO” sections to set up your Swarthmore email account and complete the new student forms by June 1. Your Swarthmore username is listed at the bottom of this message. Your Student ID number will be provided to you in a separate email today.
Email is our main way of communicating with you. Please regularly check your new Swarthmore email account. If you have any questions about setting up your Swarthmore network or email account, email the College’s Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have general questions and are not sure who to ask, please email email@example.com.
In July, we will share information about academic placement exams. In August, we will share information about housing assignments. We look forward to welcoming you to campus for new student orientation, which begins on August 29.
Please explore the website for new students.
Your Swarthmore username is: <ID>
Your Student ID number will be sent to you in a separate email today.
TO DO: set up your Swarthmore network and email account
Network Account and Student ID Number
- Network Account: Your Swarthmore College Network account gives you access to your College email and allows you to complete most of your new student forms online. By activating your Swarthmore account, you agree to abide by the Swarthmore College Acceptable Use Policy and the Copyright Policy in the Student Handbook.
- Student ID Number: Your Student ID Number uniquely identifies you in our system and can be useful to you for a variety of reasons. Treat your student ID number as securely as you treat other confidential numbers and identifiers.
Please also read the following policies:
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Higher Education Act (HEA)
- Photography and Film Release Statement: Swarthmore College does not collect release forms from its students, faculty, or staff members for the use of images or films taken in public campus spaces.
Set up your Swarthmore network account
- Go to https://password.swarthmore.edu
- Enter your Swarthmore Username
- Verify your identity “By providing answers to my secret questions.”
- Enter your Student ID Number (which is provided to you in a separate email message) as the answer for Secret Question 1: What is your Student/Employee ID?”
- Follow the instructions to set up the rest of your security questions.
- Choose “Reset my password” to continue.
Swarthmore accounts are automatically enrolled in Duo two-factor authentication as part of the College’s efforts to protect your information. The first time you log in to your Swarthmore email account, you will be guided through the steps to add one or more devices to your authentication (cell phone number, smartphone app, landline number). More information about Duo authentication at Swarthmore can be found on our Duo authentication website.
Once your password is successfully changed, you can use your username and new password to log in to your Swarthmore email via Swarthmore gmail.
TO DO: complete the New Student Forms
- Go to https://myswat.swarthmore.edu
- Log in using <ID> as your Username and your new password, which will take you to mySwarthmore.
- Select the link for New Student Forms in the navigation bar.
- Click on the title of each picture, then follow the instructions to complete and submit that form. Below is a list of the forms that need to be completed by June 1, along with contact information for form-specific questions.
- When you have finished, log out of mySwarthmore. To logout, click mySwarthmore and then EXIT, in the top right corner.
If you have trouble logging in, please email our Information Technology Services Helpdesk at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 610-328-8513.
Please complete all relevant forms by June 1, unless otherwise noted, including:
- Personal Information, which includes Pronoun info. Pronouns are an important part of respecting a person’s identity. We invite you to tell us your pronouns.
- ID Picture: upload an ID photo for your OneCard. If you have trouble uploading a photo, contact email@example.com.
- Housing Questionnaire: contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Academic Advising Questionnaire: contact email@example.com with questions.
- Computer Access Survey
- Parent Information
- Social Justice Summer Institute: open only to the Class of 2027.
- FLI-POP: open to incoming first-generation, low-income, and/or undocumented students. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Emergency Contact Information
- Health Certificate and Health Insurance: required of all students by June 15. If you have any questions or trouble submitting the health forms, contact email@example.com.
- Voluntary Disability Disclosure Form: submit this form if you wish to disclose a disability, particularly in order to determine eligibility for academic, housing, dining, or other accommodations. If you experience difficulty accessing any part of this site, please contact Monica Vance, director of disability services, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the disability accommodations process, please visit the Student Disability Services website.
On-line Directory and Gmail Searchable Name: you can update how your name will appear in the College’s online directory and Gmail by logging in to mySwarthmore and going to Personal Information > Update Directory Information.
We look forward to getting to know you.
Rebecca Weintraub-Barth, Director of Student Activities and Leadership