Academic Planning and Placement Exams
The following message was sent by Mira Baric (Administrative Coordinator for the Dean of Students) on July 11, 2022:
We look forward to welcoming you to your studies at Swarthmore! I am the administrative coordinator for the dean of students and I am writing to share information on academic planning and placement exams.
Your next steps are to:
- Read the information in the Academic Planning section of the New Students website.
- Visit the New Student Orientation 2022 online Moodle course and complete your academic placement exams.
New Student Orientation 2022 Moodle Course: The Orientation Moodle course will help us learn about you and will help you learn about Swarthmore life and academics. Log into Moodle with your Swarthmore network username and password. More content will be available throughout August.
Academic Placement Exams
Following the instructions in the Orientation Moodle course, complete your academic placement exams by August 10. Some placement exams will provide you with an automated score and placement result right away, while other exams require individual review and evaluation by the academic department. If the exam requires review by the department, then please be patient and wait until you hear back. You will receive your placement exam result before advising occurs on campus in late August.
To complete language placement exams, you will need to use your student ID number. As a reminder, your student ID number was provided to you by email on May 18 and is available in mySwarthmore.
If you have a question about a placement exam, contact:
- Chemistry: Professor Christopher Graves at email@example.com.
- Computer Science: Professor Lila Fontes (firstname.lastname@example.org), except for the CPSC 035 course - for which the contact person is Professor Lisa Meeden (email@example.com). Read general info on the Computer Science placement website.
- Languages: Suzanne McCarthy at firstname.lastname@example.org and Bethanne Seufert at email@example.com. If you might study Japanese, complete the following survey about previous Japanese experience/language study by August 10.
- Mathematics and Statistics: Professor Phil Everson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Read general info on the Math/Stats placement website.
- Physics: Professor Ben Geller at email@example.com.
If you might need testing accommodations based on a documented disability or chronic medical condition and you have not already completed the Voluntary Disability Disclosure form (in the New Student forms section in mySwarthmore), then please complete the Voluntary Disability Disclosure form right away. With questions related to disability accommodations, contact Director of Student Disability Services Monica Vance (firstname.lastname@example.org).
You can direct any other academic-related questions to email@example.com
Other Logistical Notes
Advising: Academic advising and registration occur in late August, after your arrival on campus. Around August 22, you will be able to see your advisor’s name in the Degree Audit section of mySwarthmore.
- Housing: Information about housing assignments will be shared in August. Please be patient.
- Survey: In early August, please watch your Swarthmore email account for your invitation to participate in the "Survey of New Students" The survey asks students about expectations for college, opinions, school activities, and plans for the future. New Swarthmore students have participated in an incoming student survey for over 40 years. It is one of many ways we try to learn more about you, so that we can provide better support. We look forward to hearing from you and your classmates on this important survey.
- Log-in Difficulties: Contact the ITS Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 610-328-8513 if you have trouble logging into your Swarthmore accounts or if you have computer or internet access issues that make it difficult for you to complete your placement exams.
I hope that the summer treats you well, and please reach out if you have questions.
Mira Baric, Administrative Coordinator