Intent to Live Off-Campus
Rising Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors have the option to live in non-College owned housing for the upcoming academic year. If you are an enrolled, on-campus student, who is planning to live in non-College owned housing, you must give formal notice to the Office of Student Engagement prior the Spring Housing Lottery or December Lottery. The Intent to Live Off-Campus Application is located on the Housing Portal located in MySwarthmore in the Student Menu.
Please note that Swarthmore College does not provide housing services for off-campus students. For example, the College does not provide furniture, telecommunications linkages, transportation, or mediate disputes with landlords. If you are interested in participating in the college board plan, you can indicate that on the form. If you have more information regarding meal plans, please contact the Onecard Office.
The following are the deadlines for submitting the Intent to Live Off-Campus Application, and fines that may apply for applications submitted after the deadline:
December Lottery Request:
If a student selects a room in the December lottery or already has a room from fall semester and chooses to live off campus and is still enrolled, they will be assessed:
- $250 penalty unless everyone in the unit leaves this space and notifies the Office of Student Engagement before Dec. 1
- $500 penalty each if notice is given between Dec. 1 and the 8th week of classes
- No room refund if notice is received after the 8th week
Takes a leave of absence and notifies the Dean's Office, they will be assessed:
- No penalty if notice is given before Dec. 1
- $100 penalty if notice is given between Dec. 1 and Jan. 5
- $500 penalty if notice is given between Jan. 5 and the 8th week of classes
- No room refund after the 8th week
Spring Lottery Request
Selects a room in the Spring Housing Lottery or win a block and you choose to live off-campus and are still enrolled, you will be assessed the following fines:
- $500 penalty unless everyone in the space notifies the Office of Student Engagement by June 1 that they will not be occupying the room. If everyone does notify the office, the fine will be $100 each.
- $500 penalty for each person moving off campus when notice is given between June 1 and the 8th week of classes.
- No room refund when notice is given after the 8th week.
Students who are currently living off-campus:
If you currently live off-campus and wish to remain off-campus for the following academic year, you MUST complete a new application in the Housing Portal. This is in order to ensure that all of your contact information, addresses, and meal plan selection is accurate for the academic year.