Information Technology Services (ITS) offers a variety of audio, video, and computing equipment loans to current Faculty, Staff, and Students. This policy governs the use of all equipment loaned by ITS.
- A valid Swarthmore ID must be presented to check out all equipment. Other forms of identification will not be accepted.
Liability, Late Returns, and Misuse
- Users are responsible for the safety and condition of the equipment that is loaned.
- When using loaner equipment, users agree to adhere to the college’s Acceptable Use Policy.
- Users should never leave any equipment unattended.
- Lost or stolen equipment should be immediately reported to ITS.
- Warnings will be sent electronically to the user email address upon each late return (fees may apply).
- Where necessary, the College may seek financial restitution for non-return or damaged equipment.
- The College reserves the right to revoke checkout privileges at any time based upon a violation of the above policies. (including, but not limited to, returning damaged equipment, or not returning equipment.
- To ensure data security, all data is immediately deleted when equipment is returned.
- Please ensure that your personal data is backed up to a cloud storage account (Google Drive, Dropbox) or external drive (if applicable) before returning all equipment.
Faculty & Staff Loans
Loaner equipment is available on a first-come-first-served to Swarthmore Faculty and Staff.
- ITS provides short-term loans of mobile devices to faculty and staff who need to perform tasks that are a necessary part of their job function, or who are having their college-owned device repaired by ITS.
- Faculty and Staff members are able to check out one Windows or Mac laptop per person at a time for work-related purposes for a maximum of 10 business days. This may be extended if there are no pending reservations for the item.
- Please provide as much notice as possible when requesting a loaner laptop.
- The number of devices is limited and availability is NOT guaranteed.
- Note to staff: We may be required to prioritize the use of equipment for academic purposes at certain times during the semester.
Renewals and Extensions
- Renewals and extensions may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Faculty or staff members needing a laptop beyond the normal 10 business days may submit a request at support.swarthmore.edu.
Purchasing Requests for New Computing Equipment
For current faculty and staff in need of computing equipment for permanent use, please visit our Buying A Computer page for more information.
Equipment check-out is only available to currently enrolled Swarthmore students (Trico students must contact their home institution). All equipment is meant for individual use only. Students may not check out equipment for any other person, regardless of their status.
Audiovisual equipment may be checked out for a maximum of 1 Day.
Short-Term Computer Loans
Students experiencing hardware-related problems with their personal computer may check out a laptop under the following conditions:
- Must not have access to a working computer or laptop.
- Laptop check-out is limited to 7 days. However, this may be extended if there are no pending reservations for the item. Renewal is required.
- Before a short-term laptop can be issued, all students must enter a support request at support.swarthmore.edu or have a receipt from Apple or Dell. Please have your ticket number available at check out.
- Note: ITS cannot directly assist with hardware repairs for personally owned computers, but can provide recommendations through your computer's existing manufacturer/warranty service. For more information please review our Hardware Repair Policy
Long-Term Computer Needs
- Students with long-term or emergency technology needs should contact their assigned dean for assistance.
- See the Student Emergency Funding Guidelines for more information.