Skip to main content

Required Forms

All of the following forms must be submitted to the Student Payroll Office (SPO) before you can work on campus. All documents you bring with you to campus must be originals, not copies or scans. After SPO reviews your identification documents, you will no longer need to keep them with you on campus.

I–9 Form  |  I–9 Identification Documentation  |  Direct Deposit Form W–4 Form

1–9 Form:

The I–9 form confirms your eligibility to work in the United States. More information on the I–9 form can be found here. Bring this form in blank, as it must be completed when you come to campus. Blank I–9 forms will also be available at the Job Fair.

Identification Documentation for the I–9 Form:

On the last page of the 1–9 Form there is a list of identifying documents that demonstrate you are eligible to work in the United States. Depending on your citizenship status and place of residence, you are required to bring:

  • EITHER one document from those listed in column A.
  • OR one document from those listed column B and one document from those listed in column C.

Direct Deposit Form:

You are required to sign up for Direct Deposit to work at Swarthmore, and this form determines where your pay will be deposited. You will need to know your bank account number and routing number to complete this form.

W-4 Form:

The W–4 form determines how much federal tax to withhold from your wages. This form is completed electronically via your mySwarthmore account once you are hired on campus, so no paper copy is needed. Here are instructions for creating, updating and printing your W-4 [PDF].

W-4 Information for New Student Employees:
You will not be able to complete or update your W–4 document until you are entered into the Swarthmore Human Resource system as an employee. This means that you will need a campus job before this occurs. When your employment record has been created, you will receive an e-mail notifying you that you should complete your W-4. Once you receive that e-mail, follow these steps:

  1. Log into mySwarthmore using your network credentials.
  2. Select the link for Employee Main Menu
  3. Select the link for Tax Forms
  4. Select the link for W-4 Tax Exemptions/Allowance

W-4 Information for Returning Student Employees:
A returning student employee is anyone who has previously held a campus job and was paid through the College. As a former employee, your W-4 form from your previous College employment will remain in our system and be available to you to review and update as needed through mySwarthmore. If the information is correct, you do not need to take any action. As a returning employee, please note that you will not receive any notification to verify your information.

W-4 Information for International Student Employees:
International Student Employees will complete required hiring paperwork during the International Student Orientation.  If you are a current student and you have not completed your paperwork or have questions, contact the Student Payroll Office.