Skip to main content

Required Forms for Students

Submitting Your Student Payroll Paperwork

All of the files: I-9, Student Payroll Paperwork, and Direct Deposit form must be uploaded in MySwarthmore using the Student Document link before you can work on campus.

Please see the directions for completing your student payroll paperwork [PDF] for additional information.

After the Student Payroll Office reviews your files, a confirmation email will be sent to confirm and provide next steps. 

Explanation of Forms 

I–9 Form  |  I–9 Identification Documentation  | Student Payroll Paperwork | Direct Deposit Form W–4 Form | Foreign National Form for non-US citizens only

I–9 Form:

The I–9 form confirms your eligibility to work in the United States. More information on the I–9 form can be found here

Identification Documentation for the I–9 Form:

On the last page of the I–9 Form there is a list of identifying documents that demonstrate you are eligible to work in the United States. Depending on your citizenship status and place of residence, you are required to bring:

  • EITHER one document from those listed in column A.
  • OR one document from those listed column B and one document from those listed in column C.

Student Payroll Paperwork:


  • Use your home address
  • All identification must be unexpired and signed
  • All forms must be signed and dated
  • Use your date of birth where specified 

Residency Certification Form:

Leave the PSD code blank. 

Municipality: In most cases, this is the city in which you RESIDE. A municipality has its own government, but is an incorporated member of another city, borough, or township (which forms a county). For example, if you live in King of Prussia, you RESIDE in Upper Merion Township, Montgomery County. 

Workers' compensation act form:

Read and sign the Employee's rights and duties under section 306 (f.1) on the PA Workers' Compensation Act.

Workers' Compensation information form:

Read and sign the Workers' Compensation Information Form that explains the coverage provided due to a work-related injury. 

Direct Deposit Form:

You are required to sign up for Direct Deposit to work at Swarthmore, and this form determines where your pay will be deposited. You will need to know your bank account number and routing number to complete this form.

W-4 Form:

The W–4 form determines how much federal tax to withhold from your wages. This form is completed electronically via your mySwarthmore account once you are hired on campus, so no paper copy is needed. Here are instructions for creating, updating and printing your W-4 [PDF].

W-4 Information for New Student Employees:
You will not be able to complete or update your W–4 document until you are entered into the Swarthmore Human Resource system as an employee. This means that you will need a campus job before this occurs. When your employment record has been created, you will receive an e-mail notifying you that you should complete your W-4. Once you receive that e-mail, follow these steps:

  1. Log into mySwarthmore using your network credentials.
  2. Select the link for Employee Main Menu
  3. Select the link for Tax Forms
  4. Select the link for W-4 Tax Exemptions/Allowance

W-4 Information for Returning Student Employees:
A returning student employee is anyone who has previously held a campus job and was paid through the College. As a former employee, your W-4 form from your previous College employment will remain in our system and be available to you to review and update as needed through mySwarthmore. If the information is correct, you do not need to take any action. As a returning employee, please note that you will not receive any notification to verify your information.

W-4 Information for International Student Employees:
International Student Employees will complete required hiring paperwork during the International Student Orientation.  If you are a current student and you have not completed your paperwork or have questions, contact the Student Payroll Office.

Foreign National Form for non-US citizens only

The United States has income tax treaties with a number of foreign countries. Under these treaties, residents (not necessarily citizens) of foreign countries may be eligible to be taxed at a reduced rate or exempt from U.S. income taxes on certain items of income they receive from sources within the United States. These reduced rates and exemptions vary among countries and specific items of income.